Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Files&Folders within HDD just disappeared?

This is a discussion on Files&Folders within HDD just disappeared? within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey, as stated in the title, I was working on a design-related project; thus, I created folders for that project

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

Hey,

as stated in the title, I was working on a design-related project; thus, I created folders for that project and had source-files within these.

Today, as I wanted to check back on that project, the folder just disppeared - it is not there, nor are any files left.

I've had some strange responses on behalf of my HDD when trying to save from Photoshop to my D: Partition ( please view this thread). I did however partially ignore them, for at the second or third attempt to save any file (specifically from Photoshop CS4) the 'corrupt-message' did not show up, and I was able to save my files.

Now, I realize that my HDD probably did not really save these files; so when I restart my PC they're all gone.. Is this possible? I know there are tools to recover lost data, should I try (i.e. KillDisk) or would that be, in this case, useless?

Thank you very much in advance, and please, help me! I cannot keep on working knowing that tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow, all my work will be gone!

Best regards,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
Registered Member

UPDATE: I just did a deep search for the files I had lost, and I've discovered that all my 'disappeared' files are inside D:\found.00x\dir0000.chk - could someone please enlighten me: I suppose the found.00x folder is some sort of fail-safe folder that is created when Windows realizes a document/folder is being deleted without the user's consent?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
TSF Team Emeritus

Hi,

Run photorec, which is designed to hunt out .jpg and other media files on broken harddisks
Photorec -> https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk-6.11.3.win.zip
Unzip then run photorec_win.exe as admin.
Follow instructions to recover files.

Then we need to check the state of your HDD, what model/manufacturer is it?

Regards,
Reventon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus

Ah, I didn't see your post.

We still need to check the state of your HDD, you have had far too many issues with it.
Manufacturer/Model?
Old 04-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reventon View Post
Ah, I didn't see your post.

We still need to check the state of your HDD, you have had far too many issues with it.
Manufacturer/Model?
Hey,
thank you very much for your help.

My HDD is a SAMSUNG HD103UJ
SATA 2, 1TB, 7200rpm, default 3.5' size..

Any more info I should provide?
Thank you very much.

Chris
Old 04-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
Registered Member

sorry, double post.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:57 PM   #7
TSF Team Emeritus

Follow the instructions here to test your HDD: https://www.samsung.com/global/busine...ort_HUTIL.html

Download the ISO, burn it onto a CD and boot from it.
Note that you have to select the Self Diagnostic option.

Also, given the size of your HDD the test may take several hours to complete, so if you don't want your PC out of action run it overnight.

Reventon
Old 05-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reventon View Post
Follow the instructions here to test your HDD: https://www.samsung.com/global/busine...ort_HUTIL.html

Download the ISO, burn it onto a CD and boot from it.
Note that you have to select the Self Diagnostic option.

Also, given the size of your HDD the test may take several hours to complete, so if you don't want your PC out of action run it overnight.

Reventon
Hey, sorry for the delayed reply. I will run the test overnight now.
I will report the results tomorrow.

Thank you.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
Registered Member

UPDATE: I've attempted to run the test (selecting to boot first from the CDROM and then from the HardDisk), but I get the following error as soon as the CD starts running:

Can't open CD driver CD001. SHSUCDX can't install.

Your ram drive is loaded at C:
Out of memory error.
Bad command or filename.

1. The first time this error appeared, I thought I had disabled any secondary/third booting devices (i.e. only first boot priority set to CDROM, and everything else on Disabled) - however, when I restarted my PC and checked back within my BIOS, I had correctly chosen that the first boot priority should be the CDROM and the second the HardDisk.

2. I've also searched throughout several forums for a solution, for I think I've gone through this once, but somehow managed to fix it. As I searched, some stated the error is related to Windows 7 drivers, others said the fix lies within the BIOS configuration itself.

I hope you can help me out. Thanks a lot in advance.
Regards
Old 05-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
TSF Team Emeritus

You have a pendrive? On the web page where you got the ISO from there is an .exe version. It says it is for Floppies, but it will work fine on a pendrive.

Of course you have to have a BIOS that can boot from pendrives but given that you are running photoshop I am guessing that your system is new enough to have that option.

Not sure why you are getting that CDROM error, but if your CDROM works fine in Windows then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Regards,
Reventon
Closed Thread