Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Factory reset help

This is a discussion on Factory reset help within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, im trying to factory reset my computer because i'm just tired of having a full HD, and random software

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, im trying to factory reset my computer because i'm just tired of having a full HD, and random software from years ago. Anyways, my current OS is Windows 7 and I have an Alienware m15x. Now i've read up on a few ways to restore this specific computer, however, I don't have the installation disc, AlienRespawn/DellDataSafe does not appear when press f8 at boot menu, and i don't have a factory system image to recover from apparently. So with this being said, Is there anyway to factory reset? I have a bootable USB drive with windows 7 recovery on it, but I need a system image or something I believe.

EDIT:I've also tried download AlienRespawn Win 7 patch off of alienware.com but when I try to use it it says "Change.MBR failed"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Hi Deathwishxvi,

Are you actually looking to reset your computer's setting to original factory settings?

or... clear clutter in your hard disk (i.e. files, software, etc...)?

Post full system specs for the best assistance!
Posting System Specifications [/CENTER]
Old 07-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

Original factory settings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Before the Alienware Logo when booting up the computer hit F8 key untill AlienRespawn service starts.

From there you can run a factory reset.

Doing the following steps above will remove all files on your computer and set the computer to new. Be sure all important files are backed up.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
Before the Alienware Logo when booting up the computer hit F8 key untill AlienRespawn service starts.

From there you can run a factory reset.

Doing the following steps above will remove all files on your computer and set the computer to new. Be sure all important files are backed up.
See the problem I encounter when trying to use the respawn service by pressing "f10" is that it doesn't even open up because of a problem with the MBR, and the fix isn't working for me at least. And by pressing f10 and going to repair my computer i should have dell factory reset or alien respawn factory reset but I dont.
Closed Thread