Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Display will not wake up from SLEEP?

This is a discussion on Display will not wake up from SLEEP? within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a aceraspire runniing W7homepremium and ran into the following problem which does not seem to be a W7

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 02:34 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a aceraspire runniing W7homepremium and ran into the following problem which does not seem to be a W7 problem since I cannot find an earlier recovery state that would work again:

If I set pc to go to sleep, when waking up display will not but pc will (to what state is not known). This will happen with internal video port as well as external video pci-card. The display will only wake up after repeatingly powering down and repowering pc. I've turned off pc-sleep mode and all works fine with display going to sleep and also if computer is shut down normally.

I've been told this is possibly a bios issue? Anyone have ideas?

(aspire m3202, x64, amd athlon 7450 dual core, 2400mhz, bios american megatrends r01-co 4.6.2009, smbios 2.5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XPsp3-Win8.1,Win10v1709FCU, Ubuntu16.04,Zorin,ISOLinux, Android4.3,CiscoIOS

My System

Hi,
Does this problem also occur with the laptop battery removed as well? Only running on MAINS (AC adapter power).

BIGBEARJEDI
Old 10-20-2014, 05:22 AM   #3
Registered Member

Sorry the M3202 is a desktop unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XPsp3-Win8.1,Win10v1709FCU, Ubuntu16.04,Zorin,ISOLinux, Android4.3,CiscoIOS

My System

Red Faced

Ok, sorry I missed that; it's a Desktop. I noticed that it came with Vista; did you upgrade it to Windows7 or did you pay someone to do that?

Upgrading to a new version of Windows than originally came with the computer often requires a BIOS FLASH UPGRADE. So, I think you are onto something there. If you have done a BIOS UPGRADE before, go to ACER support site and download BOTH the BIOS and CHIPSET drivers for your exact version of Windows7 you upgraded to on that PC-I recommend you do both! BIOS first, and Chipset 2nd. This is Order Dependent so don't change that.

If you have never done a BIOS FLASH UPGRADE before, DON'T!!! This is a HIGH-RISK OPERATION, AND MY STUDENTS AND CLIENTS WHO ATTEMPT THIS ON THE FIRST TRY HAVE A 90% FAILURE RATE--THIS USUALLY ENSUES IN A BRICKED MOTHERBOARD!! Motherboard replacements are $175-$400 US; and over 3 times that if you are outside the US especially in Europe. Rather, pay your local Computer Pro to do for you. This runs about $35-$90 US; 2-3 times that in Europe.

This will very likely solve your problem.

If it does not, you should try a different monitor as well.

<<<<BBJ>>>>
Old 10-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, it is recommended that you have the latest BIOS and Video card drivers (video cards can cause this).

You can check the powerstates that BIOS supports, go to start, search and type:- cmd right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt copy paste all below in red:-

powercfg -a > 0 & notepad 0

Press enter post the notepad outcome here. (the s1 and s3 mode's must be supported)

One little trick to fix this is to clear the BIOS you do this by opening the computer case and removing the CMOS battery, leave out for 10mins and then replace, restart computer and try your problem.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:24 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies...

The one thing that leans me towards the BIOS reset is that the pc worked fine with W7 upgrade for over 2 years before this problem came up, so its unlikely that the BIOS version is outdated and needs to be upgraded? And yes I have all the latest display and video drivers for both internal and pci card graphics.

Will try to clear BIOS now...
Closed Thread