Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Creating a W7 W8.1 Ethernet Network

This is a discussion on Creating a W7 W8.1 Ethernet Network within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just did a clean install of a W7 ultimate pc and have been trying for hours to set up

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

I just did a clean install of a W7 ultimate pc and have been trying for hours to set up a network with a W8.1 laptop.

This was working before the clean install but I can't remember how do do it.

I do not have a router and am using a 'functioning' twisted Ethernet cable.

The W8.1 laptop is connected to the Internet via a Vodafone stick/pen

I am NOT trying to put the pc online right now.

Any instructions on how to do this would be much appreciated.

The Ethernet connection is showing as 'unidentified' right now.

Thanks,

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

Google is your friend.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Old 10-03-2014, 02:11 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djaburg View Post
Hi,

thanks for replying.

I spent hours searching Google.

Not sure if you posted the "related threads" but none of them relate to my situation. I'm not trying to link the computers via wifi, nor a vpn network, nor is their a virus problem.

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2014, 02:30 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If the Windows 7 computer is never on the internet, then you would assign it a Static IP address. Be sure you have shared some files on the Windows 7 computer first.
On the Windows 7 machine, Go to Start/Search and type ncpa.cpl and press enter. Right click the Local Area Connection/Properties. Highlight Internet Protocol 4 (TCP/IP)/Properties. Put a check box in Use the Following IP address. Create a static IP address, like 10.2.4.254 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 Click OK.
On the Windows 8.1 computer with the ethernet cable plugged into both machines, go to Search and type the name of the Windows 7 computer, (eg) \\computername or it's IP address(eg)\\10.02.4.254 it should show you the shared files on the Windows 7 computer.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:32 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
If the Windows 7 computer is never on the internet, then you would assign it a Static IP address. Be sure you have shared some files on the Windows 7 computer first.
On the Windows 7 machine, Go to Start/Search and type ncpa.cpl and press enter. Right click the Local Area Connection/Properties. Highlight Internet Protocol 4 (TCP/IP)/Properties. Put a check box in Use the Following IP address. Create an a static IP address, like 10.2.4.254 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 Click OK.
On the Windows 8.1 computer with the etherrnet cable plugged into both machines, go to Search and type the name of the Windows 7 computer, (eg) \\computername or it's IP address (eg) \\10.02.4.254 it should show you the shared files on the Windows 7 computer.
Thanks, I'll give it try,

Michael
Old 10-03-2014, 05:59 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
On the Windows 7 machine, Go to Start/Search and type ncpa.cpl and press enter. Right click the Local Area Connection/Properties. Highlight Internet Protocol 4 (TCP/IP)/Properties. Put a check box in Use the Following IP address. Create a static IP address, like 10.2.4.254 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 Click OK.
On the Windows 8.1 computer with the ethernet cable plugged into both machines, go to Search and type the name of the Windows 7 computer, (eg) \\computername or it's IP address(eg)\\10.02.4.254 it should show you the shared files on the Windows 7 computer.
Still struggling with this.

BTW it's not that I will never put the W7 pc online but I won't need two put both machines online at the same time.

I did manage to have them both online before the clean install and I did it by selecting both adapters and joining them.

Anyway I've added four screen grabs here for you to kindly take a look at https://1drv.ms/1uGYtzY

The troubleshooters didn't find a problem.

I have folders set up for sharing on both computers, file sharing is turned on and firewalls were both turned off.

Thanks,

Michael
Old 10-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #7
- Microsoft Support

BOTH computers network adapters need to have static IP addresses. So in the example you've been provided, the Windows 7 machine with an IP of 10.2.4.254 the network adapter on the laptop would likely need something like 10.2.4.253 on its network adapter for both computers to be on the same subnet and you'd also have to use IP addresses to talk to each other since there's no DNS or WINS servers to resolve those names without manually editing the hosts file. If BOTH computers have IP addresses in the same subnet, then they should find each other. The Windows 7 machine would also need to be populated with DEFAULT GATEWAY and DNS servers in order to actually find stuff on the internet.

Also, the technique you're using for connecting the windows 7 machine to the internet through the other computer is called ICS (internet connection sharing) and that was the link I had provided to you.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Old 10-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #8
Registered Member

I am finally able to transfer files between my two computers via a home group.

But only after nearly 3 days of MS Incompetency!

"MS Incompetency?".

Yes.

I have been using windows since W95 and lived through a year of blue screen misery with W98

I have several websites and am computer literate. Not network savvy but I know my way around computers.

How did I finally manage to get the homegroup working?

I had to disconnect my vodafone stick/pen connection before I could set up a homegroup. The problem appears to have been a private vs public network one.

Now that the home group is working I can reconnect the pen with no problem.

"Must have the same time on both computers"? - Mine was, but why this additional problem?

Next message was, "You don't have permission to perform this".

Then I entered into the 'permissions' nightmare and could only change the permissions in the 'advanced' section.

I thank djaburg, spunk.funk and all the other wonderful people who volunteer to help others on forums.

But today I could only think that I will never buy another MS Windows system.

I asked a friend who has a mac what's it's like to set up a network and he said, "Four to five clicks".
Old 10-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you would have used a router, it would have been a simple 4 or 5 clicks or less. the same with a Mac. But doing your method, makes it far messier, and harder to do, almost the same with a Mac.
If this solved your problem, please mark this thread Solved in the Thread tools at the top.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #10
Registered Member

How would I use a router with a Vodafone or any other stick?

Why should I have to?

I have around 40 mb down and 30 mb up pretty much anywhere that I go.

And BTW my thanks were sincere!

If the MS system worked properly then millions wouldn't be needing help.

Michael
Old 10-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If computers in general worked properly I would be out of business :)
If you use a wired Router, you will still have Wireless internet, but it will assign IP address's to all the computers plugged into the router for your Intranet, avoiding collisions and making it easier to network.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
If computers in general worked properly I would be out of business :)
If you use a wired Router, you will still have Wireless internet, but it will assign IP address's to all the computers plugged into the router for your Intranet, avoiding collisions and making it easier to network.
Thank for the help and the honesty ;-)

Michae
Closed Thread