Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Copying desktop files from command prompt ?

This is a discussion on Copying desktop files from command prompt ? within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've got a hard-drive that's giving an imminent failure warning. I could only boot up to the windows login screen...and

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

I've got a hard-drive that's giving an imminent failure warning. I could only boot up to the windows login screen...and after I enter my password it goes to a black screen and doesn't get any further.

I had the warnings for months...so already had a headstart on the back-up process.. everything else is backed up except what I had on the Desktop and in the Sticky Notes.

I've got the Windows 7 installation disk in there now....and booted into the command prompt at X:

my desktop is at

c:/Users/mydumbusername/Desktop/

could I have a command to run from the X: prompt to backup everything only from the desktop ? I guess i'll have to stick in a USB or something as well ?

So yea, just whats on the desktop...but i've also got some passwords in the Sticky Notes as well. (desktop) not sure if backing up the desktop , gets what's in the sticky notes as well ? If I could just 'read' whatevers in the Sticky Notes that'll be adequate and I wouldn't need to back that up....just the desktop stuff.

any help would be awesome.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 03:21 AM   #2
Registered Member

Hi, and welcome to TSF.

First, lets try to get to the desktop through safe mode, By startup, press F8 a couple of times, than sellect safemode with networking, or just safe mode.

If this works, I think you have some sort of virus on your computer which is keeping you from accessing your desktop.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

thx, but didn't answer my question at all..

i'm just looking for a specific command to run at command prompt from X:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Use XCOPY.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Registered Member

thx, but doesn't say if any of those xcopy commands work with windows 7 or not.

since my desktop is at

c:/Users/mydumbusername/Desktop/

can I get an example of what command exactly to use if my usb drive was at drive F: ?

once again...i'm trying to copy desktop files only to the usb device at F:

thx much
Old 10-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Registered Member

MPR, thx bro...after several attempts at trying everything else including windows backup n restore...xcopy was the only thing that was successfully able to get this done.

didn't even know about xcopy beforehand...

After I was in the correct directory using CD and DIR. (example CD C:/ , CD C:/Users , etc)

I was able to copy everything from desktop to > external USB using this command :

xcopy /e *.* E:\

this copied all files to the USB drive. (E:)

if you wanna pick which files and directory to copy use this one instead :

xcopy /p /e *.* E:\

for others if u run into the same issue...and are black screen'd like I was..and didn't know which drive the USB is in since your black screened....press CTRL+ALT+DELETE so u get to task manager...run command CMD. and type

wmic logicaldisk get name (displays all current drives)

hope this helps. :)

EDIT : also, saved sticky note files are located at :

C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Sticky Notes
Old 10-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

The old DOS commands still have some utility, even within an OS like Windows 7. They are a bit more cumbersome but can sometimes work when using the Windows GUI will not. Glad you got things fixed.
Closed Thread