Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Computer slow to boot

This is a discussion on Computer slow to boot within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hell all, I have a dell octoplex 780 tiny running windows 7 pro that takes about 5 minutes to boot

Old 02-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hell all,

I have a dell octoplex 780 tiny running windows 7 pro that takes about 5 minutes to boot up. I am using my own definition of boot up. It's when everything is using less than 40% according to resource monitor. The hard drive is hit the hardest and longest. I clicked on trusted-installer and got an approximate count of instances for disk activity. 15 lines per page and 18 pages all trusted-installer. I do not trust this menice. Is this really what trustedinstaller does when running?

There is more to come that is misbehaving but this first. A few other programs may be misbehaving the same way.
Thanks Creeplebod
abusknott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2020, 10:07 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Try a Clean Boot, if that works you can leave it that way. Or, you can add one startup item or Service at a time until computer takes too long to boot, then you will know the culprit.
If a Clean Boot doesn't work, download HDTune, in my signature, not Pro. go to the Error Scan tab and do a full Error Scan. If all of the blocks are Green, the HDD is healthy. If any of the blocks are RED, that drive is beginning to Fail and needs to be replaced.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi
I used msconfig to turn off everything but microsoft. I started my timer as soon as the words "starting windows" popped up. The computer was my definition of booted up was 20 seconds after resource monitor popped up. Monitor took 2 min and 40 sec. Perfom.exe, msmpng.exe, and scvhost (local) were the greatest disc user. I turned most other apps except avira that added about 20 seconds. Avira running brought it back to 5 min but monitor showed no disk usage but 20% cpu usage by avira. Avira was finished in 12 minutes.
I used task manager to start resource monitor. Under "processes", there were less than 10 and cpu was 2% until monitor started. Then the rest of the processes started in a half minute. 2 things I find strange; why did it take so long for the cpu to get busy and why did avira change the time so much when it wasn't communicating with the disc.
I want to upgrade to windows 10 but the windows key isn't working. I clicked the option to deal with the key later and it fails just before it finishes. error 0xc1900101-0x30018. There are 2 critical updates for 7 that fail to install. I was not going to get into another topic but I am reconsidering that decision.
Now you need more info: A dell octoplex 780 tiny using windows 7 service pack 1. Processor is Intel core duo cpu E8400 @ 3.00 GHz, 8 GB installed ram, 64 bit operating system. I have had issues before and have used EaseUS registry cleaner - works well for me. Zone alarm, and Malwarebytes. I am afraid I may have a corrupted file. I read about an SFC command with switches that would repair files by comparing with on line files - failed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Did you try HD Tune? An Error scan will take a long time. But if you start it and start to see RED blocks, you don't have to finish it, you will know the HDD needs to be replaced.
If the HDD is healthy, then go to Start/Search and type CMD, right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type
SFC /scannow and press Enter.
This will replace any missing or corrupted system files
Old 02-23-2020, 01:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

Spunk
I tried HD tune and all blocks are green. Ran SFC /scannow but without the switches the other site suggested and it worked. Boot up is faster now except for the network. I have all the system startups I need running but Mscoinfig start menu is still off (avria is on). Device manager tells me Microsoft ISATAP device cannot start (code 10). I need this fixed before I continue with what ios stalling my boot up time.
Thanks Abusknott.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Go to the Device Manager, right click the ISATP device and choose Properties/Details take the drop down menu and choose Hardware ID's copy this and Paste it into Google. It should tell you more about this device and what you need to download. .
Then go to the Dell/Support/Download drivers and type in your Service Tag# or browse for Legacy Optiplex desktops and select your Model to download the Drivers. View all 108 Drivers. Download the Chipset driver, and the WiFi driver, restart and see if that comes back. If not, you are good to go.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #7
Registered Member

Spunk
I deleted the driver ASATAP where someone posted it is only used for 6x internet speed. It will work without it. All items in device manager are working with no errors. No mention of ISATAP. I did this after trying what you suggested. Google came up with answers but Dell had nothing related to networking or internet. There are no codes during boot up but the internet access indicater has the yellow triangle for the first 5 minutes. Then it behaves properly.
Thanks Abusknott
Old 03-07-2020, 06:29 PM   #8
Registered Member

I should add, I did not find 100 drivers
Old 03-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you click the link in post #6, it takes you directly to the Dell Optiplex 780 Drivers page. Choose the Windows 7 OS, as this is the latest for this old computer.
Quote:
View all 108 Drivers. Download the Chipset driver, and the WiFi driver, restart.
When you download the driver, it comes down as Zipped file to the root of your C: Drive that automatically unzips and tries to install. The location is usually C:\Dell\Drivers or some such. If the driver install Fails, browse to the unzipped location, open the folder and Right click Setup.exe, go to Properties/Compatibility and make this driver compatible with Windows 7. Put a check in the box for Run As Administrator. Apply and OK. Now double click Setup.exe to install the driver for Windows 10.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:45 PM   #10
Registered Member

Spunk,
That worked! The old box has a new life. Thank you.
Solved
Old 03-23-2020, 12:55 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Glad to hear it, please mark this thread solved in the Thread Tools at the Top.
Attached Images