Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Computer shuts down randomly 2-3 times daily

This is a discussion on Computer shuts down randomly 2-3 times daily within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm running Windows 7 64bit and having some very strange errors. I have new RAM, a new video card, and

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm running Windows 7 64bit and having some very strange errors. I have new RAM, a new video card, and a new Cooler Master PSU; I've ruled out the RAM already since it did the same thing with another new stick. I don't have a different PSU to test, sadly.

Now, when I installed Windows 7, there were some issues. I was installing to what was originally Drive F, which then became Drive C with the new install. Some boot files ended up on Drive D (Formerly C) and had to be copied over or I had weird boot errors. If there are any missing files that might cause what's happening, please let me know. But I ran SFC and it brought up no problems.

So, what happens is that when I'm just using the computer (blogging, photo editing, playing a game, doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing) it will shut down, as if the power just went out. I still hear things working in the case, either fans or the PSU, after the shutdown. Not just for a few minutes either, there will be 'activity' in the case for hours after it supposedly shuts down. When I press the power button on the front of my case, nothing happens, no LEDs, nothing. If I hold it down for 5+ seconds, nothing happens. I have to flip the power switch in back off and on, then press the front button. Sometimes my USB keyboard won't be recognized during boot and I have to unplug it and plug it back in.

The only error that seems to show up in event logs is a kernel-power one letting me know that the computer shut down unexpectedly, which I already knew.

Bonus: Sometimes after I've restarted, my PC won't create an internet connection; I'll get the connection logo in the tray with the red X. After restarting again, it typically connects without issue.

Also: I ran CoreTemp overnight and it showed no signs at all of overheating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

This sounds like your power adapter is failing or about to fail. Post your PSU wattage and make and model #.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

Amazon.com: Cooler Master GX Series 650W ATX 12V V2.31 80 PLUS SLI Ready Power Supply RS650-ACAAE3-US: Electronics

This is the one I purchased no more than a month ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
Registered Member

I've recently had a similar problem with a brand new Dell 8100. After days of trying to sort it I stumbled across an obscure post on a forum suggesting that I disable the hybrid sleep setting on my power plan. Done it and the machine has been stable since. I'd suggest you try that:

Control Panel > Type 'Power Options' > Choose "Change Plan Settings" for whichever plan you are currently using > Change Advanced Power Settings > Sleep > Allow Hybrid Sleep - set this to OFF.

Some machines will automatically vary the power plan so you may wish to disable to this on each of your machine power plans. Hope this helps!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you. I forgot to update that I'd fixed the problem and it was indeed the power settings. I'd just changed the overall settings to 'performance' or whatever the least energy-saving option is, which most likely included the fix you mentioned. :)
Closed Thread