Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Computer Randomly Shut Off, Now Sound Doesn't Work

This is a discussion on Computer Randomly Shut Off, Now Sound Doesn't Work within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello! Today, my computer randomly just shut off, as if the battery was unplugged. When I turned it back on,

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 10:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello!

Today, my computer randomly just shut off, as if the battery was unplugged. When I turned it back on, the sound was not working.

Troubleshooting showed the drivers to not be working. In inspecting the driver properties, there was the message, "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I tried restarting it, to no avail. I tried deleting and re-downloading the audio drivers. When I tried to delete the Realtek driver in the Control Panel, the installscript crashed (I was able to uninstall other things with no problem). I managed to get around this by deleting it through device manager (the installscript still gave me a crash message, but after the driver was uninstalled). The Intell Display Audio driver uninstalled without an issue.

I re-downloaded and installed the drivers. It still didn't work.

I went into the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet2\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and deleted UpperFilters (there was no LowerFilters). I restarted my computer. Still the sound doesn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2015, 02:47 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

A computer that automatically shuts down has over heated, and shut down to stop damaging being done.
You did not say, but since you mentioned a battery, I assume this is a laptop? Be sure to blow out the fans on the side and bottom of the laptop with a can of compressed air.
As for the sound, after restarting, in the Device Manager are there any yellow flags for devices, especially under Sound, Video and Game Controllers? If there is no longer a Realtek device, or Other device, then restart the computer and boot into Setup (Bios) go to Integrated Peripherals. Look for Onboard Audio, if it is disabled, using your arrow and enter keys Enable it. Save and Exit. When the computer comes back up you should get New Hardware Found, if you previously installed a driver it should load.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:23 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hello again!

Yes, it is a laptop, and the fan is faulty. I have a new one coming in the mail. I'll try to be careful about not overheating it in the meantime, though.

Yes, the Realtek and Intel audio devices both have yellow flags. This was the case before and after I re-installed the drivers for them. I assume the flags are the result of the code 39 error in their statuses.

There is no Integrated Peripherals option in my BIOS. There are some USB options and such in the advanced settings, but no option to enable/disable the onboard audio. I will note that there is also a speaker level option in the advanced settings, but it is greyed out (it says it's at 4, but obviously there is no sound).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2015, 08:14 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

You should not be running the computer until the fan is replaced Great harm and damage can come to your computer if it continues to overheat. Do not use your computer or try a repair of the audio drivers until the Fan has been replaced. Once it is replaced:
What is the make and model# of your computer?
You should only download the drivers from the computer manufacturers Support/Download Drivers site. Type in your make and model #, then choose your OS version (eg) 32 bit or 64 bit and then download the Audio device drivers for your computer. BTW, you should only have one manufacturer, either Realtek or Intel not both. To know which device you have on your computer, right click each device with the flag and Uninstall. Now right click Any device and choose Scan For Hardware Changes. Whichever audio device returns with a yellow flag is the one you need to get a driver for. If you can't uninstall the previous Realtek software, use Revo Uninstaller to remove it.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hello again!

New fan installed, working well.

The model is Asus U56E.

The driver is Realtek.

I installed a USB driver from the manufacturer's website before re-installing the audio drivers. It installed a device/driver called "High Definition Audio Device" along with it. Yellow flag (code 39).

Re-installed the Realtek High Definition Audio, still a yellow flag on it (code 39 again) and the High Definition Audio Device.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:40 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

In the Device Manager right click the High Definition Audio Device and Uninstall. Then go to the Asus drives Drivers page, ASUS USA choose your OS and then download the Realtek audio device with the latest date. And restart the computer.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:42 AM   #7
Registered Member

Did as you said. Windows gave me a message saying the driver software was not installed successfully. I clicked on it for details, it had "High Definition Audio Device" listed twice, and said both of them failed.

The wizard for finishing the Realtek install also came up. During the "Installing" step, I got the following message from the wizard: "Run C:\Program Files (x86)\Realtek\Audio\ASF3GUI\ (ASUS SonicFocus 3.0 GUI) failed ."

The wizard had me restart again after it was done. High Definition Audio Device and Realtek High Definition Audio drivers are both there again, with the same yellow flags.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #8
Registered Member

maybe your PSU is damaged... look for driver for your audio device...
Old 08-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Did you install the Chipset driver? This must be done first, then the Realtek Audio driver, if the first one doesn't work try the second one.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:29 AM   #10
Registered Member

@Chriskey: If you mean the "High Definition Audio Controller" under System devices, it's working fine according to Device Manager.

@spunk: Re-installed chipset from the ASUS site. It replace a newer chipset. It gave me the previous error message about the "High Definition Audio Device" driver installation failing (two of them again). After the chipset installation, the High Definition Audio Device was listed twice in Device Manager, both with the yellow flags. Also there were listed "Microsoft Streaming Clock Proxy," "Microsoft Streaming Quality Manager Proxy," "Microsoft Streaming Service Proxy," "Microsoft Streaming Tee/Sink-to-Sink Converter," another "Microsoft Streaming Tee/Sink-to-Sink Converter," and "Microsoft Trusted Audio Drivers" under "Sound, video, and game controllers" along with the two High Definition Audio Devices. All with code 39 yellow flags.

When attempting to re-install the Realtek drivers (first/newer) after the chipset, I had an error message from the wizard: "Install Realtek HD Audio Driver Failure !! [Error Code: 0x000005B3]"

On clicking OK, the wizard closed itself.

I didn't retry the first/newer, but downloaded the second/older and installed them. After restarting, all of those previously-mentioned Microsoft drivers are gone from "Sound, video and game controllers" and there are only a single "High Definition Audio Device" and "Realtek High Definition Audio," both with yellow flags/code 39.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:42 PM   #11
Registered Member

Update:

Computer randomly shut off again, as if the battery was taken out while it was on. It was not overheated -- new fan is working fine and the computer was warm to the touch but not hot. Sound still not working.
Closed Thread