Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Computer randomly crashes into a blank, black screen

This is a discussion on Computer randomly crashes into a blank, black screen within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My computer is a Windows Vista Home Premium x64 with NVDIVIA drivers. The computer in question is not functioning yet,

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

My computer is a Windows Vista Home Premium x64 with NVDIVIA drivers. The computer in question is not functioning yet, as it repeatedly crashes and sends me to a blank, black screen, as if the computer had been restarted. What other specs do I need to provide, and what tests do I need to run so that I can provide you with the necessary information for optimal assistance?

Additional info: About two weeks ago, my computer had many BSODS, usually back to back, until , magically, they all stopped I occurring after my dad opened up the computer to clean the dust out. I have not had a single bsod since, and this current series of crashes started after my pc froze(while audio was on; said audio was on loop but only a fraction of the audio).

Right now, the computer will no start up anything, not even a load up screen. I have to wait about twenty minutes while the computer is powered off for anything to load after I power it up. Is this an indication of the problem at hand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
TSF Articles Team

My System

That could be one of multiple things.
Overheating can cause the computer to shut itself down, especially if you have to wait for it to cool off to use it. Considering it was cleaned recently it is possible that this is not the problem. But the fact that you need to wait a period of time before it starts up suggests that heating is still the cause.

It can also be caused by faulty RAM. I suggest you run Memtest and see if the RAM might be damaged.

To make it easier to identify your problem, it would be useful to know your computer's specs.
Is it pre-built, and if so, what is the Make and Model details?
If its custom built, list the specs here, also including the Power Supply Unit's make and power output, as that can also cause freezes.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks SkyStorm, I will definitely look into those issues as soon as I can. Currently, however, after leaving my computer off for the entire night, it refuses to startup any processes, including the usual blue screen that details the functions of f11,f12, and f9. The computer simply powers up, but nothing happens. I notice that when things do indeed start up, there is usually a light that turns on for the keyboard, but that is not the case now.

I would also like to note that on one occasion, the same crash and black screen resulted immediately after the desktop had launched, an not suing any activity involving games ot Internet processes.
Furthermore, (please excuse my incompetence in dealing with computers), how might I go about checking if my computer is indeed overheating?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Registered Member

Here are some specs on my computer that I know to locate.Windows Vista Homr Premium Service Pack 2 x64
Hewlett-Packard company model a6530f
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 8450 Triple-Core Processor 2.10 ghz
Memory Ram : 4.00 Gb

Also running me test right now. How do I locate the results, and what am I looking for in them?

Edit:
Currently on pass 31%, test #6 and continuing.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
Registered Member

Memtest passed with no errors, but after pressing ESC as directed to restart the computer, the pc freezes at the blue screen that specifies the functions of F10,11 and 12.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

If the computer was cleaned recently, and Memtest passed, then the next culprit would be the Power Supply Unit. Turn off the computer and unplug it, open the side of the case and check for any other dust build up since last cleaning. Blow out all fans with a can of compressed air. Look at the label of the PSU report the Make. Model# and Wattage. Start the computer and make sure all fans are spinning. Boot into Setup (Bios) to PC Health and report the Temperatures and the +12V line of the PSU.
Closed Thread