Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Computer powers on but does not boot (I think)

This is a discussion on Computer powers on but does not boot (I think) within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a new computer that is running Windows Vista (quad core processor, 3GB ram, nvidia 8500 GT) and I

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:22 AM   #1

I have a new computer that is running Windows Vista (quad core processor, 3GB ram, nvidia 8500 GT) and I encountered a serious problem today.

This morning when I turned on my monitor (I had left the computer running overnight - not in hibernation, just with the monitor off), there was an HP update window flashing with three recommended updates. The two that I can remember were an update to the system security and a motherboard BIOS update to improve system stability. I started the updates, minimized the updater and opened internet explorer. A few minutes later, the computer slowed significantly and the mouse and keyboard no longer responded, but normal use resumed in about 60 sec. When I was done, I closed internet explorer and waited for the updater to finish. While loading the BIOS update, it prompted me to close something called COM something or other with the option to cancel, retry or ignore. I tried retry a few times, but it continued to pop the same message so I clicked ignore and it notified me that a restart would be required when the update was finished. Once all was finished, I opened the start menu and clicked what looked like the power button. I expected it to offer me the option to select restart or shutdown, but instead the monitor immediately went dark and the computer seemed to be shutting down. After a few minutes, I grew concerned because the blue light on the front of the computer was still on and I could hear the fan, but the monitor was dark. I manually turned off the computer by holding the power button in, waited and then turned it back on.

That's when I realized something was seriously wrong. There is no beep on powerup, the keyboard lights don't turn on, the monitor is dark and the yellow light indicating that the computer is thinking does not light up at all. The blue light behind the power button is on and I can hear the fan, but there is no activity other than that! I am absolutely desperate at this point.....if you have any ideas that will help, please share!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread