Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Compressing external hard drive taking forever

This is a discussion on Compressing external hard drive taking forever within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Seagate SDR00F1 1TB external hard drive. It was brand new I took it out of the box

Old 05-24-2020, 09:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Win7 SP1 (1PC), Win98SE (1 PC), WinXP Pro SP3 (1 PC), Win10 (2 PCs), Android 9, Android 4.4.4

I have a Seagate SDR00F1 1TB external hard drive. It was brand new I took it out of the box yesterday.

Yesterday, I copied a bunch of movies and TV episodes to it, and today I tried compressing the drive.

However, compressing the drive is taking forever! It has already been five hours and it is only a fourth of the way complete!

I have compressed 2 TB hard drives in the past faster than what this 1 TB drive is compressing. There is only 400 GB of data on this drive!

I Googled 'external hard drive taking forever to compress' and 'compressing hard drive slow' but only results about people asking if compressing hard drives slows down your system showed up! There is literally zero results pertaining to compressing hard drives taking a long time or slow.

I need this to finish as it is typing up my only open USB port. All the other USB ports have permanent things attached to them.

Does anybody know what the problem could be?
Arceist.Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Hope it s 3.0 or 3.1 USB Port. Also, it could be File System connected. Finally, make sure your unit allows NTFS compression.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:27 AM   #3
Registered Member

OS: Win7 SP1 (1PC), Win98SE (1 PC), WinXP Pro SP3 (1 PC), Win10 (2 PCs), Android 9, Android 4.4.4

I said that it was 1 TB. That cannot be anything other than NTFS. FAT can only go up to 128 GB and has problems over 40GB

Now Windows is telling me "3 Days remaining"

Compressing 400 GB of data SHOULD NOT take three days
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

If you have it connected to a USB 2.0 port, it will max out at around 30MBps. With USB 3.0, sustained copy speed should get close to 120MBps for writing and almost 130MBps for reading.

Also keep in mind that it is a slow 5,400 RPM low-powered device.
SpywareDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:56 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team

My System

There's also the option, if you only have USB 2.0 available, of compressing in a folder on the computer, first, then copying over the compressed result.
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:00 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
There's also the option, if you only have USB 2.0 available, of compressing in a folder on the computer, first, then copying over the compressed result.

NOT TRUE!!! The original drive that these files were on were compressed, it removed the compression upon moving these files onto this drive. So no, it DOES NOT copy the compressed result over! :(
Old 05-24-2020, 02:21 PM   #7
Windows Tech Team

My System

Then set the drive itself as a compressed drive BEFORE you try to move anything to it.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Windows+7+...ive+compressed

And, by the way, I was thinking compression by ZIPping rather than using Windows drive/file compression in my original reply.

There's never enough space savings for me to use Windows compression.
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:51 PM   #8
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

You should have enabled compression on the drive first, then copy the files. It might even be faster to cancel the compression, format the volume, enable compression then copy the files again.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote