Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Command prompt won't execute commands from cmd or command

This is a discussion on Command prompt won't execute commands from cmd or command within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, Earlier my internet was being slow so I went to do a ping test and CMD proceeded to

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys,
Earlier my internet was being slow so I went to do a ping test and CMD proceeded to tell me that it didn't reconize the command. I have done countless pings before and this was weird. If i run CMD from the run bar by typing in its Dir then i can run ping and all the other commands or if i change the dir to sytem32 and run the command it works as well. I'm thinking that the paths for the cmd files have somehow gotten messed with and I'm not really sure how to change those so any advice on how to correct those paths would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

If you go Start - type cmd then right click on cmd to select Run as administrator you can run a system file check with the cmd sfc /scannow

With Win 7 you don't need to use the Run box.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

Meant the the Search bar lol

this is the result of the scan you told mentioned.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of th
em.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

C:\Windows\system32>

Heres the contents of the log file
Attached Files
File Type: txt CBS txt.txt (2.71 MB, 36 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

If you have a Win 7 install disk that you can boot up with by going into the Setup (poss. F2 on start up) and change the Boot order to read the CD/DVD before the HDD - insert the disk then Save and Exit - you can select Repair which will take you to the Repair Environment (RE) then select Command Prompt and enter the following cmd - assuming your OS is in C:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows

There is a space before each forward slash and this will perform the same op but from a clean source.

If you don't have a Win 7 install disk then you can Google for win 7 sp1 iso download - selecting the correct version and use this program to create a bootable USB or Disk Microsoft Store

Let us know what that reports.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
Registered Member

I don't know where my Win7 disk ran off too but i made an ISO but for some reason I can get my system to read the disk that way. had to make a bootable USB to win 7 on this machine. but thats anther issue that i wont get into lol.

I do have some Windows 7 repair disks that i downloaded from Microsoft a while back. I can try and see if my computer will boot those. I know i can boot into Ubunto from disk but i havnt tried the repair disks.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, the RE (repair your computer) option is installed with Seven (not so Vista), boot to safe mode advanced and select the "repair your computer" option go to command prompt to run Tomken's cmd. OR this is what I would do:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenae View Post
Hi, the question of running a sfc gets asked quite often, it is confusing especially if you are faced with the prospect that it finds errors and was unable to repair them.How do you find these errors?

When sfc completes it gives a summary it will say it found no integrity violations (corrupt files), you are good to go. It might say it found integrity violations (corrupt files) and repaired them, you are good to go. If it say's it found integrity violations (corrupt files) and was unable to repair them, you might have a problem (not all errors are cause for concern, I have modified my system and sfc always finds problems, when you check them they are benign, as far as effecting the system goes) This does not mean errors should not be checked they may well cause problems.

First problem is the Log cbs, it's used for other purposes (The Windows Modules Installer service also writes to the CBS.log file. The Windows Modules Installer service installs optional features, updates, and service packs) and can be quite large, so it's best if you clear the log before running sfc.

Go to start search and type:- cmd, right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt type:-

Code:
CD %windir%\logs\CBS (press enter)
DEL *.* (press enter) press Y at the are you sure prompt.
Exit (press enter) cmd prompt will close.
Open cmd prompt again (as admin) as shown.At the prompt type:-

Code:
sfc/scannow
(press enter)

Be patient can take awhile when finished if you have no corruption or the corruption has been repaired, you can simply continue using your computer. If you have a message that it found errors and was unable to repair them, OR you just want to view the logs, open a cmd as admin (as shown):-

To read the log:- at the prompt (copy paste)

Code:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > 0 & notepad 0
(press enter), the log will open in notepad.

To read the log with only the errors showing:- (copy paste)

Code:
findstr /c:"[SR] Cannot" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >0 & notepad 0
(press enter) You can post this notepad outcome here for us to assist you.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
Registered Member

Sorry for the late response on this. been Super busy. here is the cleaner CBS file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 0.txt (8.2 KB, 36 views)
Closed Thread