Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

cegbnn.dll error

This is a discussion on cegbnn.dll error within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, all !!! I'm getting an error on machine(windows 7) startup. The most interesting thing is, that no mention of

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tristar
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 06:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, all !!!
I'm getting an error on machine(windows 7) startup.
The most interesting thing is, that no mention of the error is in Google. I've tried to ask all of my friends and PC tech's that I know... nobody have an any idea what can it be..
The windows is placed in the hospital , and it's not genuine, it's not my personal computer, and somebody might try to hack it and filled the system with trojans (I've cleaned, some like 40 viruses) and the error is poping-up since that.
The error is in hebrew and it's says something like : "There was a problem running C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\cegbnn.dll... the mentioned modul is not found".
So, I would be gratefull for a little help with that error...
Thank's in advance...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dll error.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	325046  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 06:36 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team Moderator
Hardware Tech Team Moderator

Hi, this could be an error from a custom Application where the dll would have been created specific to the Application. Since the app might have been built as a custom requirement you may or may not find information about it in searches.

In this case, check which app throws this error and contact the App developer/vendor for support.
Flaksman likes this.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi, thanks for the reply...
Yes, I've been afraid that, it's the Dr. Web CureIt, have deleted some essential file from the system, but there is not mention of the "dll", in the folder and the most interesting thing, that is no mention of it in the registry.
Is there a way to recover the way with some app or some to review the way from the startup to the place when, that some application is asking for it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 02:59 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Did you go to the path? Make sure Hidden Files are viewable, then go to C:\Users\Admin\Appdata\Local\ and see if cegbnn.dll is there?
Again in the Registry, make sure Computer is highlighted at the top, go to Edit/Find in the Find What Box type cegbnn.dll. press the Delete key whatever it stops on, press Enter to accept the deletion, press F3 to continue searching the registry till you get the message Finished Searching the Registry.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:31 PM   #5
Security Team

To make the search a little easier, please try the following ....
  • For 32 bit OS .... Download FRST to your Desktop.
  • For 64 bit OS .... Download FRST64 to your Desktop.

If you're not sure whether your OS is 32 bit or 64 bit download both .... only one will run.
    • Double click Frst.exe to launch it.
    • FRST will start to run.
    • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
      • In the Search: box type SearchAll:cegbnn.dll
      • Press the Search Files button.
      • When finished scanning (usually about 15 mins, but can be longer) a log will open on your Desktop, Search.txt
      • Please post it in your next reply.

The search will find any Files, Folders, or Registry entries containing the search criteria.

Please do not use FRST to perform any other function than the one described above. It is a powerful tool and can potentially do damage if not used correctly.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:31 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks a lot for the reply :
Spunk.funk and Gary R....
I've tried the way you showed me, but still no succsess.
There is no mention of the file, and there no such a thing in the registry.... But the error is still popping up...
I have no idea what can it be and what app can ask for such a file...
Thanks in advance again, and best regards...
Attached Files
File Type: txt Search.txt (312 Bytes, 5 views)
Old 01-23-2020, 06:28 AM   #7
Security Team

OK, your error is a RunDll error, so we may be able to find the offending item by doing the following ....

Download ... Autoruns ... to your Desktop.
  • Right click on Autoruns64.exe and select Run as Administrator
  • When prompted to allow Autoruns to run, allow the prompt.
  • Autoruns will now scan your system and populate its display with the results.
  • Expand the display to full page, so that you can see all the results easier.
  • Click on the Everything tab to ensure it is selected.
  • In the Filter: box at the top type RunDll

This will filter out all the processes that are calling RunDll which should include the one that is causing the fault.

What you need to do now, is one by one, click on each of the processes calling RunDll to highlight it.
When a process is highlighted, then details of that process will be found at the bottom of the Autoruns display.
When you come to the one that includes cegbnn.dll (if it is present) in the detail panel then ...
  • Right click on that process, and select Delete

Be careful using Autoruns, it is a powerful tool, and can cause damage if used inappropriately. If you are in any doubt whatsoever about what you need to do, or about the instructions I have given, then do nothing, and come back and ask.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:31 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary R View Post
OK, your error is a RunDll
This will filter out all the processes that are calling RunDll which should include the one that is causing the fault.

What you need to do now, is one by one, click on each of the processes calling RunDll to highlight it.
Thank for the reply !!!
I have no idea if I did the right thing, but it seems like there no such thing in autoruns either.
I've searched with the "Everything" app ( if you know this program for searching the machine files) - still no success.
Thanks in advance, again...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Autoruns.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	325060  
Old 01-25-2020, 10:04 AM   #9
Security Team

Did you run Autoruns as an Administrator, because the image you have posted is not populated.

The large white area in your picture should have dozens of processes showing in it. In fact every auto launching process on your computer. Your picture shows no processes at all.

Even if you run Autoruns with User permissions it should still show a whole mass of processes.

To illustrate what I mean, this is what mine looks like.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (2).png
Views:	4
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	325062  
Old 01-27-2020, 01:52 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary R View Post
Did you run Autoruns as an Administrator, because the image you have posted is not populated.

The large white area in your picture should have dozens of processes showing in it. In fact every auto launching process on your computer. Your picture shows no processes at all.

Even if you run Autoruns with User permissions it should still show a whole mass of processes.

To illustrate what I mean, this is what mine looks like.
It does show - a lot of things and registry strings, but nothing that feels like a cegbnn.dll.
And after I'm writing the RunDll in the filter box, it shows nothing at all, I mean it showing a blank window...
I've searched the processes, nothing like cegbnn.dll...
Thanks in advance again....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Autoruns.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	325068  
Old 01-27-2020, 07:02 AM   #11
Security Team

It's unusual that you have no processes using RunDll, rundll is a system process which is called to run dll files that are common to a variety of different functions or processes.

Normally there will be several processes present that are using it.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:20 AM   #12
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies Gary R...
Well, I've found the answer for the problem. After checking all the programs on the machine, I've found a "jv16 power tools X", installed. Inside there was a backed up registry clean files, I've restored them and the problem after a few restarts just disappeared.
I have searched the regestry and still no smell of the "cegbnn.dll", no files and no registry entries, but the main thing, that is no error pops up anymore.
The problem can be recognized as solved.
Thank you a lot, mr. Gary R. for the replies, and for the help.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:44 AM   #13
Security Team

Glad you were able to find a resolution to your problem.

Thanks for letting us know.

I've marked this topic as solved, and will close it.