Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Cant upgrade to Windows 10

This is a discussion on Cant upgrade to Windows 10 within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Have a Packard Bell imedia S2870, 8GB, 64-bit OS, 500GB HDD desktop PC currently running Windows 7 Home Premium. Can

Like Tree2Likes

Old 01-28-2020, 02:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

Have a Packard Bell imedia S2870, 8GB, 64-bit OS, 500GB HDD desktop PC currently running Windows 7 Home Premium. Can this system not upgrade to Windows 10?? If so, what is required/ where to go? Have made attempts - to no avail.
Gersh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2020, 03:04 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Minimum requirements: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...m-requirements

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:51 PM   #3
Registered Member

System requirements is more than sufficient so that's not the issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2020, 04:16 PM   #4
Windows Tech Team

Have you attempted to upgrade using the ISO method?: Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

The only difference between doing a Repair Install/Feature Update and an actual in-place upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1 using this method is that you start with Windows 7/8/8.1 running and where you kick off the setup.exe file. Otherwise there's nothing different.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:26 AM   #5
Registered Member

Have tried that before. My question is again:
My Packard Bell imedia S2870, 8GB, 64-bit OS, 500GB HDD desktop PC currently running Windows 7 Home Premium - does this need an update of some kind to be able to upgrade to Windows 10?? And if so, what? All the standard turn off antivirus, run via ISO etc. options have been tried already.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:00 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

In Windows 7, go to Start/Search and type CMD right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type
SFC /scannow and press Enter. This will replace any missing or corrupted system files.
If all else fails, consider backing up your files and doing a Clean Install.
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:36 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hello spunk.funk,

Can you please clarify:
I have done a system backup last week. Therefore if I do a "clean install" as you describe, I take it you mean a direct Windows 10 install as opposed to via an upgrade CD. Also, if I do a clean install, then doing a system restore (from my backup done in Windows 7), will this work, as I now would have installed Windows 10 as my OS?? Hope I am explaining myself correctly!
Old 01-29-2020, 06:26 AM   #8
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

After a clean install, the system will be a fresh install of Win10. So no, you cannot restore a backup from Win7.

Which ways of upgrading have you attempted? What error do you get when you attempt to upgrade?

JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:02 AM   #9
Registered Member

Have attempted to upgrade via typical methods eg. Microsoft download website, from Windows upgrade CD, via ISO etc. Latest error message was from a Windows 10 Upgrade CD was the "... installation failed in Second Boot with error during Migrate_Data operation." It failed at 89%. All the precautions i.e.having enough memory, turn-off antivirus etc. all done.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #10
Windows Tech Team Moderator
Hardware Tech Team Moderator

There is an option to only keep essential Apps for the upgrade and try that, you would lose Apps that are non-essential and would be migrated over.

Another issue could be due to available space, the image itself if quite large, so ensure you have at least 30GB (on the safer side) of free space available, if not, then this is where you should start..

tristar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #11
Windows Tech Team

It is really impossible to advise unless you were to cite an exact error code for the in-place upgrade failure. No one can help without that.

I can also say that when it comes to this exact sort of issue, the Windows Update forum of Sysnative is, as far as I'm concerned, the "go to gold standard" for seeking solutions. They, too will require you to report the exact method you used to attempt the in-place upgrade and the error code produced. Without those data points there is no way to start digging for a solution.
oscer1 likes this.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:25 AM   #12
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Yes, we need the error code. Now that I've checked all your specs, I'd like to make a recommendation to every user that's had Windows Update or upgrade problems. If you have a single or dual core CPU, don't do anything else or have anything else running while downloading or installing. That's where many problems originate. You probably won't read this anywhere else.
tristar likes this.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:39 AM   #13
Windows Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
If you have a single or dual core CPU, don't do anything else or have anything else running while downloading or installing.
I will also add that it has been my experience that in-place upgrades using either the previously downloaded ISO file itself, or same burned to bootable media, tend to encounter fewer problems, since all of the "base material" to complete the installation is already present.

In certain circumstances, and the single or dual core CPU is one of them, I suggest that when you are asked the question regarding whether you want to download any upgrades now (which is very near the beginning of the process) that you answer, No. All of those updates will be applied via Windows Update in very short order after the upgrade has occurred, and it takes one more variable out of the in-place upgrade process itself.

The older the hardware, the more you want the in-place upgrade to be focused on that, and only that. All updates can be applied after the upgrade has been completed successfully.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:39 AM   #14
Registered Member

Hello britechguy,

The error message continuously appearing at 90% of the second part of the install from a Windows 7 upgrade CD is "0xC1900101 - 0x4000D The installation failed at the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during Migrate_Data operation".

So from this, in simpler terms, can you advise next steps please? Have enough HDD space, have turned off antivirus, what else is required. Is there not a program devised that can search for files/codes relating to the error message, then repair them? Or is this too simplistic?
Old 01-30-2020, 06:46 AM   #15
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

In an elevated command prompt run c:\windows\SYSTEM32\cleanmgr.exe /cDrive
Try installing again.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:23 AM   #16
Windows Tech Team

If what @Corday recommended doesn't work, I stand by my advice in post #11.

Go to a venue where I know that one of the best subject matter experts on Windows Update issues I know of practices. Sometimes making an appropriate referral is the best advice you can give.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:33 PM   #17
Registered Member

Hello again,
Posted at Sysnative"s forum hours ago; no one bothered to respond.

Been checking system.

Ran chkdsk - no errors.
Ran sfc scannow /f a few times, getting error messages each time ie. “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but unable to fix them.“
How is this fixed?
Old 01-30-2020, 05:52 PM   #18
Windows Tech Team

I see nothing in the Windows Update forum of Sysnative that dates from today that looks to be from you. Also, that forum has a couple of real experts, who are handling a lot of traffic, so you shouldn't expect a response in very short order when you post there.

If you want to know what I'd have you do to fix this issue, then see this post I've made on Sysnative (and elsewhere): Windows 10 “Revival” Script for When You’re Experiencing Issues. Start at the numbered step 1, which involves using SFC and DISM in conjunction (and you've already done the first step, an SFC, which has failed, so you'll move on to the DISM then likely repeat the SFC afterward).

NOTE: Since you're on Windows 7 you will use the Check System Update Readiness Tool rather than DISM.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:35 PM   #19
Windows Tech Team

Also, does your machine have the latest UEFI/BIOS installed?

It's been reported by enough techs that having the latest BIOS/UEFI can sometimes make the difference between upgrading working, or not.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:24 AM   #20
Registered Member

Hello again,

Thanks for responding. Actually came across the DISM option in my checking yesterday - Did checks by doing this in sequence i.e. running Dism /ScanHealth (operation completed successfully), then Dism /CheckHealth then Dism /RestoreHealth. This last step produced another error message "restorehealth option not recognized in this context".

Am extremely nervous about disturbing anything to do with the BIOS as any wrong move here will kill my PC! Had gone to Packard Bell's website, there appears to be a slightly later update (2 months) after the BIOS version date of May 2012. How much difference would that make?