Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Can't click on taskbar (not faulty mouse or touchpad)

This is a discussion on Can't click on taskbar (not faulty mouse or touchpad) within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi experts , My laptop has an intermittent fault where I can't click on the taskbar or click start button

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi experts ,

My laptop has an intermittent fault where I can't click on the taskbar or click start button but I can still use the desktop also when I have an internet page open I can click anything on the web pages but I can't click the X or minimise in the corner but then it can be the other way round I can use task bar and start but nothing on desktop weird eh. I can temporarily fix it by just hitting ctr alt del then just back out but don't really want to be doing that every 5 mins. Any help would be gratefully received thanks

btw I have already updated all the drivers to see if that would do anything but nope.

Happens with both touchpad and a mouse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF when you say you updated the drivers did you reinstall the touch pad package and have you tried running sfc /scannow to check you system files and rule out any issues there SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker - Windows 7 Help Forums

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi thanks for reply yes i re-installed the package (synaptics) i just ran that scan but have no idea what the results mean i will attach them.looks like a lot of repairing tho .
Attached Files
File Type: txt sfcdetails.txt (35.1 KB, 38 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi the scan completed successfully has it made any difference to the issue

Old 11-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
Registered Member

unfortunately it hasn't made a difference i really have no idea what it could be as it happens randomly and weird how ctrl alt del then back out temporarily fixes it.

i have seen other forums asking about this but everybody insists that its the mouse im quite confident it isnt because its the same with the touch pad and it still clicks desktop or web pages its asif the computer is saying i can either use the taskbars or the webpages/desktop but not both lol.

i have had blue screens when playing games i used blue screen viewer and found out the problems there was directX related and the driver dxgkrnl.sys was the problem could it be related do you think ?? how do i fix the dxgkrnl.sys driver.

thanks.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi this could be related to the BSOD's please follow the instructions here https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ta-452654.html
and post the files etc then we can have a analyst check them out.I think since DX affects the graphics etc it could be worth investigating

Old 11-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
Registered Member

Hi I posted a BSODs and attached the required files as u recommended is it just a case of waiting till somebody picks it up or do I need to ask somebody to have a look.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Where did you post them as they are not in this thread

Old 11-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
Registered Member

i posted here

https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...tx-744066.html
Old 11-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Ahh ok I will put a call out for a analyst please be patient as they can be busy

Closed Thread