Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Can't boot to a rescue boot disc

This is a discussion on Can't boot to a rescue boot disc within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am trying to create a rescue boot disc for Acronis True Image 2020. I am in contact with the

Old 01-15-2020, 08:40 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I am trying to create a rescue boot disc for Acronis True Image 2020. I am in contact with the techs there, but maybe someone here could be of help.

As of now I have tried a Windows RE rescue disc, a Windows PE rescue disc, and three USB flash drives.

It wouldn't let me create the media on one flash drive, with the other two, I got a message saying that unauthroized files had been places on the flash drives- this is because they are set to secure boot. I went into my BIOS and there wasn't an explicit "disable secure boot" option, but there was an option to choose between windows and another OS, I chose the other OS.
option

In almost all cases what happens is the "windows is loading files" message with the scrollbar is displayed when booting. Then, after that is done, I get the starting windows screen and it ALWAYS hangs here, it never gets past this point. I have even sent them a video of this happening.

I'm really not sure what windows has to do with it at all. If the BIOS is booting from the flash drive or DVD, Windows shouldn't even come into play since that is on my hard drive and is not booting from the hard drive where windows is yet.
PC person is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2020, 09:49 PM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Should have left the BIOS option set to Windows because Windows RE and Windows PE are both Windows OS environments! I find it hard to believe that there is no option to disable Secure Boot in BIOS. It is there, but if for some reason you can't see it at all, then enable legacy boot support, aka CSM. Secure Boot is disabled when legacy boot support is enabled. To be clear, set boot mode to UEFI+Legacy or UEFI+CSM so that you can boot from both UEFI and legacy boot media.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:12 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Also, I'm not sure what Windows PE Rescue Media you are using, but Acronis has it's own Rescue Media Builder under the Tools menu in Acronis True Media. https://whatsabyte.com/hard-drive-ma...ve-true-image/
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2020, 08:18 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Should have left the BIOS option set to Windows because Windows RE and Windows PE are both Windows OS environments! I find it hard to believe that there is no option to disable Secure Boot in BIOS. It is there, but if for some reason you can't see it at all, then enable legacy boot support, aka CSM. Secure Boot is disabled when legacy boot support is enabled. To be clear, set boot mode to UEFI+Legacy or UEFI+CSM so that you can boot from both UEFI and legacy boot media.
Quote:
Also, I'm not sure what Windows PE Rescue Media you are using, but Acronis has it's own Rescue Media Builder under the Tools menu in Acronis True Media. https://whatsabyte.com/hard-drive-ma...ve-true-image/
This is the version I have https://kb.acronis.com/content/63226

I have used the simple option and burned the iso to a disc and tried to boot with it. I have also used the advanced option and used the windows PE based media, neither worked when I tried to boot with the disk, what I described happens, it tries to load the windows files, gets to the starting windows screen and never finishes.

Quote:
My motherboard's bios has been updated and the book online doesn't say anything about the secure boot option, but I have this screenshot I have uploaded (looks like I can't link them from photobucket anymore)

That secure boot state option is not selectable, something I can change with my arrow keys. In case you can't see it, the highlighted part says OS type.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	biosbootpic.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	325036  
Old 01-19-2020, 02:26 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

What I'm trying to do is have the boot media work so I can select a backup to backup from on my external hard drive, if I can't get into windows.

I have already made a Windows 7 backup, and want to make one after I have upgraded to Windows 7 but I need to boot disc/media to actually work correctly.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:24 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

In the window pictured, can you select Secure Boot State? If so, you should be able to Disable it. If not, go to the Security tab and you can disable it there.
When you boot up with the Acronis Boot Flash Drive in, Press F12. Is your Flash Drive recognized here as a boot option? Selecting it should boot the computer to the Flash drive, unless the burn to the Flash drive didn't work.
Then download the ISO image and save it to your Desktop and Burn the image using Rufus. Under Partition Scheme, choose GPT for UEFI Bios. then Browse for the ISO image on your Desktop
Old 01-20-2020, 06:24 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

As mentioned above, No, the secure boot state is not selectable with my arrow keys.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:06 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
go to the Security tab and you can disable it there
Did you go to the Security tab?
Old 01-21-2020, 05:06 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Did you go to the Security tab?
There's no option to disabled it there, either. But, I caled their tech support and found out how, I had to delete all the keys, only then will secure boot be disabled.

However, the problem persists, as it will always crash when it gets to "starting windows" when trying to boot with a USB flash drive with the rescue media on it (or a dvd with it on it as well) That seems to be the crux, why do you think it is doing this, and can't get past that point?
Old 01-21-2020, 05:18 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
it will always crash when it gets to "starting windows"
Are you getting this After you restored your Clone Image? Or when trying to create a Clone image. Or when trying to build a Rescue Media? Can you boot into Windows now without any problems?
If not, It sounds like your Windows is corrupted and needs to be reinstalled, or, if you have successfully created an Image, to restore that image by booting from the Rescue Media.
If this happens when trying to create your Acronis Boot Key, save the Acronis Rescue Boot ISO image to your desktop and burn it using Rufus. Under Partition Scheme, choose GPT for UEFT Bios