Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Can't access System Recovery or boot to Win-7 after installing XP

This is a discussion on Can't access System Recovery or boot to Win-7 after installing XP within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am in a bit of problem... please read. I recently created a new partition with 200GB of space on

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

I am in a bit of problem... please read.

I recently created a new partition with 200GB of space on my Windows 7 64bit (HP Elite) PC system. I installed Windows XP Professional on that new partition (trying to create dual OS). After Windows XP was installed, I was unable to find "Windows 7" as a boot option under "Startup and Recovery"... I could only see Windows XP Professional. I went to Disk Management and right clicked on the partition where my Windows 7 OS was under, and chose "Make partition active"... I got a warning system MAY not be able to boot, but I chose to proceed anyways. I tried restarting and got an error "BOOTMGR is missing / Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" ... I tried pressing F11 after restarting to get into "System Recovery" but it would go directly to the error message. I was still be able to access everything else during boot except "System Recovery" such as BIOS, etc.

I re-installed Windows XP Professional on the same partition... and was now able to get into the Windows XP Pro OS again. I'm still unable to access "System Recovery" when booting. F11 option is being bypassed and going directly into XP OS. This is my first concern, how do I get "System Recovery" to get working again? It used to work before as I re-installed Windows 7 couple of months ago. I can still see "FACTORY IMAGE" drive in My Computer (could be on a different drive letter than before). And second, how do I boot to my original Windows 7 OS (C-drive seems intact and all Win-7 system files are there)?

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

IF you can get into XP download EasyBCD with that go to "View Settings" to see if there is both a Windows xp and Windows entries listed. If only Windows XP is listed go to "add new entry"

Add a Windows 7/Vista entry do not change the drive letter EasyBCD will detect the right drive for WIndows 7. Uncheck "Skip Boot menu if checked. Then Click on "Save Settings" Then reboot and see if you can boot from Both XP or Win7 now.

Before this go to Backup/Repair BCD backup your boot loader. and save it somewhere in Windows XP if xp is accessible.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the help. So basically I fixed the problem by downloading "windows 7 recovery disk" torrent and burning it onto a disc. I then restarted the computer with the disc inside, and the system recovery was able to fix the problem after 2 restarts.

Right now, the only problem I have is I'm unable to access system recovery (without disc) when pressing F11 at boot screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemoo View Post
Thanks for the help. So basically I fixed the problem by downloading "windows 7 recovery disk" torrent and burning it onto a disc. I then restarted the computer with the disc inside, and the system recovery was able to fix the problem after 2 restarts.

Right now, the only problem I have is I'm unable to access system recovery (without disc) when pressing F11 at boot screen.
are you trying to access windows recovery from F11 or the manufacturers recovery ? only way to access windows recovery is through the disc .
Old 12-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Microsoft Support

I doubt you'll be able to easily bring back the factory F11 System Recovery option. Any of the methods mentioned above will modify the factory boot record which allows you access to the recovery partition.

If you can start a factory system recovery through Win7, usually via software supplied from the PC manufacturer, you may be able to restore the computer to Windows 7 as it came new. You might need your recovery discs too, if you created them. This also wipes out your personal files and your XP installation.