User Tag List

Can You Hear Me?

This is a discussion on Can You Hear Me? within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have Internet friends from around the world. I use Google Talk to converse with these people. It is so

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I have Internet friends from around the world. I use Google Talk to converse with these people. It is so nice to be able to talk with someone half way around the world for as long as I like and at no charge. Or is it?

There is one nagging problem which occurs in XP, Vista and Win7 (A long time for a bug go uncorrected). None of us can get our microphone levels to stay where we set them.

Often, after talking for a few minutes, either party will have trouble hearing the other. Upon checking the Microphone Properties, we find the microphone level has moved from where it was set, to near zero. You must end the conversation before you can reset the microphone to a desired level.

Does anyone know how or why the the level keeps dropping, and if there is anyway to prevent it from happening?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Microphone 1.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	122029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Microphone 2.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	122030  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Hi likekinds

I believe the levels will go down based on volume sensitivity, for example, if you shout into your microphone, it will reduce the level.

If this is a problem across multiple Operating Systems, then it probably is not that. It could be a hardware issue (specifically your headset might be a bit sensitive/too close to your mouth?) or it could the software you are using, such as a messenger client. These things can change the levels.

You could try seeing if this only happens when you have one piece of software running (maybe Google Talk?), if so, try another.

Perhaps try another headset? Or reinstalling the drivers for your current one.

I am not sure if there is a way to disable programs from changing these levels.

Good luck.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

It is also caused by background noise. If there is any background noise, another person talking, TV noise,typing on the keyboard, sounds from another room, it will lower the mic volume. Try conversing in quiet room.
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, yes it seems to be by design, you might be able to disable this function Go to start search and type:-cmd, right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt (copy paste):-

Code:
reg query "HKCU\Software\Google\Google Talk Plugin" > 0 & notepad 0
press enter, post the notepad outcome here.

NOTE:- this is perfectly safe it does not change any reg settings just reads them and posts the outcome to notepad, we will advise how to alter if needed safely.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

The Notepad came up blank. I copied the following from the CMD window:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>reg query "HKCU\Software\Google\Google Talk Plugin" > 0 & no
tepad 0
ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.

C:\Windows\system32>
Closed Thread