Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Can I still download Win 7 after Jan 14th?

This is a discussion on Can I still download Win 7 after Jan 14th? within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm going to continue using Win 7 on my 11 year old laptop (because a key app I use in

Old 01-22-2020, 03:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Win10/64 bit; Mint 19.2 Cinnamon-64, OS X El Capitan;

Send a message via MSN to XEyedBear Send a message via Skype™ to XEyedBear

I'm going to continue using Win 7 on my 11 year old laptop (because a key app I use in Windows only and I can't justify purchase of Win 10 and new laptop). I just won't be on-line with it. The question occurs to me: what if I need to replace my boot drive at some point? Can I still download Win 7 ? If not, so I have to re-install from my CD (build dated 06-11-2012), will I still be able to get all the updates that Win 7 received between 2012 and 14 Jan. 2020? Indeed can I fully install Win7, with updates to 14 Jan, while not connected to the internet?
XEyedBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2020, 07:49 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Get a spare drive and clone the drive. If it ever fails, then you simply install the clone drive (or copy the drive onto the current C drive) and you are back to the same place as when the clone was created.

Also, have you tested the "key app" in Win10? It will likely work just fine. And if you have a valid copy of Win7, you can still upgrade free.

JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:15 AM   #3
Windows Tech Team

The no-cost upgrade path to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or 8/8.1 is definitely still functioning.

Just posted the specifics on the Qubes OS topic in this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2020, 09:51 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

As stated, Upgrading to Windows 10 is the way to go. But if for some reason, you want to download Windows 7 in the future you can download it here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7 you just need your Windows 7 Product key.
All Updates before Jan 14th can still be downloaded if you install an older version of 7.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote