Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Black Screen While Updating Drivers

This is a discussion on Black Screen While Updating Drivers within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Note - I've seen topics talk about this problem, but there's a few things I don't quite get. Hello, earlier

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
Registered Member

Note - I've seen topics talk about this problem, but there's a few things I don't quite get.

Hello,

earlier today I downloaded a tool from amd.com to update my drivers. I acquired the file through the autodetect page:
AMD Driver Autodetect

My computer is a fairly recent Hewlett Packard laptop with the model name "HP Pavilion dv7-6b15ed". Its OS is Windows 7 (64 bit).

To the point:
I started the update after getting the installer from the aforementioned file, and after just a little while, the entire screen became black. It's now been in this problematic state for over two hours. People I've spoken to have assured me the screen turning black is normal, but I doubt over two hours is what they had in mind.

Two important points I hope you can answer:

Should I wait before I perform a forced shutdown? Is there any possibility it'll recover by itself? The last time I did force a shutdown, I had to return my computer to an earlier state to get it back up and running and it hasn't run quite as sharply ever since.

Is there a way to prevent this problem from occurring with this program or is there a better alternative for getting one's drivers up to standards?

I'm afraid I'm not very technical at all, so I really need some help, preferrably soon. Any response would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

press Ctrl+ALT+Del do can you start the Task Manager? If not a Hard Shutdown is all that is left.
The video driver conflicted with something else. It's best to manually download your Video driver from the HP site. HP drivers are more suited for this machine.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dell Inspiron 1750 - Black Screen
This is an interesting problem that I think I've got figured out, but I'd like to know if anybody else comes to a different conclusion. A client of mine dropped his Inspiron 1750 and cracked the LCD. He decided to try to do an LCD replacement himself, ordered a compatible screen and was able to...
gwgmer Laptop Support 22 08-21-2016 02:42 AM
g550 replacement screen has black bar on right side and part of bottom missing
Hi I just replaced my lenonvo g550 screen and now there is large black verticle bar about an inch wide on the right side of the screen and the bottom of the screen is missing about quarter inch (most of the taskbar is hidden). The original screen was a Samsung LTN156AT02 and was sent a...
tamerax Laptop Support 2 01-28-2012 01:28 PM
Black screen
Hi all, I have a big problem: I have a netbook Eee PC 1005PXD. After only two days of use, i get a black screen at the beginning: "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". Pressing F9 on boot doesn't work and i'm still getting the...
bob_n_bob Hard Drive Support 10 01-25-2012 11:52 PM
New ASUS build. Screen flickering black problem.
Desktop screen flashes black randomly during use, when viewing videos via Media Center or MPC-HC, browsing the net, and excessively when playing any PC game eg. Tom Clany's H.A.W.X / Mirror's Edge. Hardware & System Specs: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AMD Phenom II X4 980 BE Corsair 4GB (2x2GB)...
Sejian Motherboards, Bios & CPU 9 01-25-2012 02:19 PM
Computer won't turn on; freezes on black screen at startup (help needed ASAP)
Pretty much everything seems to have broken or failed on me this week and now the thing I need most, my computer, appears to have followed suit. When I turn it on it gives me the normal blue HP screen followed by the normal Windows XP startup screen and then...black. Nothing. No noise, no...
blackscreen Windows XP Support 5 07-22-2011 04:36 PM