Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Black screen at bootup?

This is a discussion on Black screen at bootup? within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am having a HP Pavillion G4 1317-AU laptop Currently it runs Linux mint in dual boot with Windows 7.

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to aayushagra

I am having a HP Pavillion G4 1317-AU laptop

Currently it runs Linux mint in dual boot with Windows 7. Recently my dad was on the pc and, well, he says he only checked his mail and then tried to shut down. Then to hurry things along apparantly he held down the power button while shutting down.

Since then, windows has been unable to boot. Every time i select "Windows 7" from GRUB, it only gives up a black screen. I tried leaving the laptop on the black screen for approximately 30 minutes to see if it is just some diagnostics, no luck however.
I am out of ideas, i am able to boot into Linux mint (Accessing from Mint right now) without any kind of trouble.

Another strange thing however is abnormal fan behaviour, during startup (Power button all the way to GRUB the fan runs much louder than usual, and it is significantly louder than usual when selecting Windows 7. It's quiet as usual in mint though).
Any help is REALLY appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Do you have Windows 7 or Windows 8? We need to know to better assist you.

The make and model of your machine please. And the fan can be running louder because it is running faster to cool down the CPU try cleaning the air vents with a can of air if you have a laptop. If you have a desktop take the side panel off clean out all dust out with a can of compressed air (Turn the computer off unplug everything hold in the power button for 3 seconds).

All dust pay close attention to the fan and heat sink on the middle of the motherboard, and the power supply fan as well, do not let the fans spin while cleaning them hold the fan with your finger.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
Registered Member

I'm sorry for the OS on my profile, that refers to my desktop PC.
I also have a laptop running Win7 Ultimate, which is the problematic one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
The make and model of your machine please. And the fan can be running louder because it is running faster to cool down the CPU try cleaning the air vents with a can of air if you have a laptop. If you have a desktop take the side panel off clean out all dust out with a can of compressed air (Turn the computer off unplug everything hold in the power button for 3 seconds).

All dust pay close attention to the fan and heat sink on the middle of the motherboard, and the power supply fan as well, do not let the fans spin while cleaning them hold the fan with your finger.
This is going to be tricky since you have a dual boot with Linux. Reboot the machine select "Windows 7" as soon as you do hold down the F8 button. At the Options screen select "Repair Your Computer" The Windows RE (Recovery Environment) will try to locate an installation of Windows 7. If it's successful highlight the Windows 7 installation that was detected. Then the RE will attempt to repair Windows.

Let try this first let us know if it works or not.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Old 01-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer_24 View Post
This is going to be tricky since you have a dual boot with Linux. Reboot the machine select "Windows 7" as soon as you do hold down the F8 button. At the Options screen select "Repair Your Computer" The Windows RE (Recovery Environment) will try to locate an installation of Windows 7. If it's successful highlight the Windows 7 installation that was detected. Then the RE will attempt to repair Windows.

Let try this first let us know if it works or not.
The fans seem to be under control now.
As for the reboot, i selected windows 7 from GRUB and held down F8, for a short while it gives a beep and then stops. No display appears and it remains black however.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Try tapping it instead tap . tap . tap.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Old 01-31-2014, 05:25 AM   #7
Registered Member

Tried tapping. Still no use..
Old 02-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Try tapping F8 when you see your OEM computer name screen after you reboot. Or as soon as you select Windows 7 start tapping F8 until the Safe Mode screen opens. Keep your finger on F8 don't press it select Win 7 then start tapping F8 you have to be quick.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Old 02-02-2014, 04:52 AM   #9
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

If you can boot into Linux, open a terminal, login as root then try to update grub.

It will be either one of these commands, depending on which version of Grub you have.
update-grub then press enter, or it could be update-grub2

If you use the Windows Recovery option, you will most likely need to re-install Linux, because Windows will over write Grub, with its MBR.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Can you load Linux? I know Windows will not load. Do you have a Windows 7 Recovery CD?

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Closed Thread