Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Black screen after reinstall, no cursor, need help please.

This is a discussion on Black screen after reinstall, no cursor, need help please. within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. A few weeks back I downloaded some stuff, after that my system kept messing up as in the full window

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

A few weeks back I downloaded some stuff, after that my system kept
messing up as in the full window wouldn't load, half would appear in blocks
the other half was missing, you could see the desktop.

I wiped out the hard drive thinking some kind of virus. Tried to reinstall
from recovery discs that I had to get from HP but that is not working,
desktop won't load. I was able to get it up in safe mode one time,
tried updating drivers through device manager, can't get the bios
update from disc loaded.

I have tried everything I have found about the black screen issue: removed memory, reset cmosbattery/jumpers, checked the registry, unplugged/reseated all.

Gparted:

dev/sda1 Compaq 223.55GB 12.79GB used 210.77GB unused Boot
dev/sda2 Factory Image 9.34Gb 8.03GB used 1.30GB unused
unallocated 2.49 MB

Information shows sda1 and 2 not mounted.

3x ran:
chkdsk /f c:

Windows has checked the filesystem and found no problems.
0 KB in bad sectors.

3x ran:

Startup repair with windows disc (not regular recovery disc) shows windows booted succesfully.
Startup repair on its own in pc shows windows booted succesfully.
At one point startup repair showed no OS installed a few days back.
I can accessfiles through the windows disc though.

Memtest shows no errors.

Still not getting desktop up and running.
Can anyone help?

Thank you
Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Enthusiast

The hard drive may be faulty -- all hard drives will fail sooner or later.
You can test the hard drive with the drive manufacturer's own diagnostic software which doesn't need Windows. You download the DOS version on a working PC & make a bootable CD from it. Then boot the faulty PC from that CD and run the test.

The links for each drive manufacturer's testing software are here;
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

If you don't know what make the hard drive is, you can use Seagate SeaTools for DOS which can be used to test any make of hard drive.
Get it from here: | Seagate
Make sure you download the DOS version, not the Windows version.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

I tested the hard drive using seagate and it passed. Is that good or bad in
this case??

Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
Registered Member

After countless searches I had the luck of stumbling upon this:

If the installation again stops at “completing installation” Restart the computer. Now try starting the computer in safe mode (Start tapping on the F8 key on the keyboard when the computer starts up till you get the Advanced boot options and select safe mode and press enter)

Once after you select safe mode, you may get an error “Installation cannot proceed in safe mode” ignore this message and press Shift+F10. This should open the command prompt.

In the command prompt type the following command and press enter

devmgmt.msc

This should open the Device manager. Under device manager disable Network adapters, Display adapters, Sound cards, Floppy disk controllers, Memory card readers and TV tuner cards.

Once after disabling these devices, restart the computer and the installation should proceed.

One thing I noticed list under network adapters was alot listed that I did not recognize, just disabled all of them.

It worked! Installation completed and desktop is now loaded!
Closed Thread