User Tag List

Black screen

This is a discussion on Black screen within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I just encountered a problem that's new to me. I was trying to change the boot order in

Old 03-04-2020, 06:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,

I just encountered a problem that's new to me. I was trying to change the boot order in BIOS and I pressed F10 and suddenly I got a black screen. I tried to use other hdd I have connected but nothing. All I get is a black screen (power light on the monitor keeps blinking as if the monitor isn't even connected to the PC). Tried restarting with all hdds disconnected but still black screen. Tried my Win7 CD but again, same thing. Computer starts but screen is black.

What went wrong here ? Any ideas ?

Thanks.
Trancer365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

You gave us no details about the make or model # of your computer, if you have a video card, or are using the onboard VGA? or if you have only one monitor, or more, or if using a TV etc?
By using my powers of deduction, I assume since you are pressing F10 you are using an HP Desktop. Right?
Shut down the computer and remove the power cable from the back. Press the power on button in the front to release any stored electricity. Disconnect the monitor.
Unplug the monitors power. Push the monitors on button to release any electricity.
Now, plug the monitors power on, but don't turn it on. Plug the video cable into your Video card or onboard VGA. Plug power cord into back of computer. Turn on the monitor, you should get a Splash screen for the monitors manufacturer. Now Power the computer up. You should see the HP Splash screen, shortly after that Windows.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:17 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, spunkfunk. It's a custom made PC. It does have a video card (gtx1050). I actually thought about using the vga but to my surprise I couldn't find one in the back of my PC. I don't understand how mine doesn't have one. I only have one monitor.

By F10 I meant the one you find in BIOS (to save and exit), not F10 on the keyboard.
I have already tried unplugging the PC and pressing the power button to release any electricity and also tried disconnecting power to the monitor but I might try redoing everything again in the order mentioned by you. So far, nothing is working. I don't see how messing with the boot order caused this to happen. I'm stumped. But it does look like it's something that has to do with the monitor because turning the PC off and on doesn't affect the monitor at all as if it's not even connected.

Edit : I just followed the steps mentioned here but it didn't work. Still monitor acts like it's not connected (checking signal...., No signal entering the power saving mode....).

Win 7 64bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2020, 11:22 PM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

If this was caused by by some accidental changes in the BIOS, you can clear CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for a few seconds (while pc is OFF and unplugged from mains power). There may also be a jumper or button for clearing CMOS, but removing the battery is straightforward. Insert the battery back into its slot, plug in the mains power and turn on the system. The system will load default BIOS settings thus reverting whatever change you did to cause this. Note, however, that this may have just been a coincidence. It just so happened that it occurred right when you pressed F10 to save the changes and exit, which doesn't mean doing so caused it. It could have happened while doing anything else on your PC.

Do you see any HDD activity going on to suggest that Windows is loading? The HDD LED indicator should be showing lots of activity when Windows is starting, soon after turning on the pc.

How is the monitor connected to the video card, i.e vga, hdmi, displayport, dvi? Connect the monitor to another computer and confirm that it's getting a signal. If it doesn't, it could be faulty and needs repair/replacing. If it does, reseat the video card, or test the card on another computer.

What make and model is your motherboard?
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:21 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

You are still short on details of the Make and Model# of your Motherboard, and Video Card and Monitor, that could help us.
When you turn your PC on, do you get the Motherboard Splashscreen Logo, before it goee black? Or is it black from the get go? What type of connection are you using to the Video card? (ie) HDMI? Display Port? DVI? If there is more then one connection, have you tried connecting the monitor with a different connection? Have you tried a different monitor?
As stated, removing the CMOS battery will set Bios to Defaults and reverse whatever setting you chose with F10 in the Bios.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:15 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thank you Stancestans and Funk for the replies and the help.

Just removed the battery for a few seconds but problem not solved. Here are some more details:
MB is Asus P8P67. Video card is already mentioned (Evga GTX 1050). The monitor is an LG, connected thru HDMI. It's only a few months old.

Basically, I turn the PC on and I get nothing on the screen. It's completely black. In fact, as mentioned, the power button on the monitor blinks as if it's not even connected to the PC. What I noticed is that there is ZERO activity on the HDD. The HDD light stays off. So, no. No HDD activity. So, I'd say this isn't a monitor or V. card problem but I've already tried removing the V. card and reinstalling it.

I have another monitor but it's an older one and doesnt have an HDMI connector. And the DVI to VGA adapters I have won't fit the dvi on the GTX 1050, which I don't understand. So, I'm unable to use the old monitor with this PC. But then again, the fact that there's no HDD light makes me think this isn't a video problem.

Thanks again for the replies and help.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:17 AM   #7
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

do you get any fans running? any lights on motherboard? maybe the power supply failed.

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
oscer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:39 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

The DVI connector on the video card is a DVI-D connector, this is different then other DVI connectors. You also have a Display Port connector. See if your monitor has a Display Port connection or get an HDMI to Display Port adapter or cable.
As stated, when you turn on the computer, do you see and hear the fans spin up, are there any lights on? Or is the whole thing silent, dark cold? First try plugging the power cord straight into the wall and not thru a power strip. Check the connections inside the computer case. Reseat the RAM, etc. If all that till fails, then as stated, the PSU has failed and needs to be replaced.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:45 AM   #9
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, oscer1. Fans do work and stay on. MB does have the normal lights on. Other than that nothing. So, no splash screen.

No HDD activity light. Monitor acts like it's not connected to the PC. Again, this happened after I tried to change the boot priority in BIOS.

Edit: Considering there's no HDD activity light, could this still be a GPU problem (maybe it suddenly died) ?

Could it be a CPU problem (dead CPU) ?
Old 03-05-2020, 02:21 PM   #10
Registered Member

My System

First, make sure to connect a known working monitor.
Other then that, it is hardware issue, probably a motherboard short.
Unplug all unessential devices, (ie) Drives, HDD/SSD and Optical CD/DVD drives. Remove all but one stick of RAM. Switch the RAM to different slots and switch the RAM chip. If none of this allows you to get to the Bios, then the motherboard has shorted out.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:04 PM   #11
Registered Member

I did all the things mentioned here but nothing.

I hooked up the monitor to an old desktop I have and it worked. So, it's definitely not the monitor.

If the motherboard is shorted out is there anything I can do or is it toast ?
Old 03-06-2020, 01:25 AM   #12
Registered Member

My System

"Shorted Out" means there was some kind of surge or electrical impulse that was charged on the board that caused one or more capacitors or chips to stop working. In which case the Motherboard needs to be replaced.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:57 AM   #13
Registered Member

OK thanks. Is there any way I can be sure it is the motherboard ? I mean like some kind of a test, before I buy another motherboard. Any way it can be the CPU ?

It's weird that this happened after trying to change the boot priority.

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:22 AM   #14
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

you could try a bench test https://www.techsupportforum.com/for...er-918754.html

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
oscer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:46 AM   #15
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancer365 View Post
OK thanks. Is there any way I can be sure it is the motherboard ? I mean like some kind of a test, before I buy another motherboard. Any way it can be the CPU ?

It's weird that this happened after trying to change the boot priority.

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it.
Changing boot priority does not kill a motherboard. This could have happened while doing literally anything, so don't get stuck on that thought.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:37 PM   #16
Registered Member

OK. So, assuming the problem is the motherboard, what happens when I install a new one, I mean like my Windows license ? I heard I might lose the license. But since I have my Windows 7 CD, am I ok ? Also, would it be possible to get back my Windows 10 (I have on another HDD upgraded from Win 7 to W10 during the free upgrade time)?

I might be getting the exact same motherboard to replace the old one and I'm not sure but wouldn't that help me avoid problems with Windows license ?

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:22 PM   #17
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

A motherboard replacement is a significant hardware change and would require a new Windows license, IF the old license is a non-transferable type (OEM or system builders license). A retail license, on the other hand, is transferable to a new system, so a motherboard change would not require a new license. Upon replacing the motherboard and meeting problems with Windows activation, the inbuilt activation troubleshooter will let you select an option for recent hardware changes. Keep your Windows 7 key at hand for this, and if the license is transferable, you will be assisted with reactivation on new hardware.

The exact same make and model motherboard replacement doesn't necessary mean it's totally identical to the old one. Differences in hardware revisions are not uncommon. Ideally, you should perform a clean Windows installation even if the motherboard is the same make and model, so I cannot guarantee that the old installation will work flawlessly with a new motherboard. Some backup software have a feature for preparing a backup image for transfer to a different system (hardware), but I never bothered with this before because I've always preferred a fresh installation on new hardware, so I can't guarantee that it would work. With nothing to lose, but time, you could always try such an approach and if it doesn't work, you do a clean install.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:37 PM   #18
Registered Member

My System

As stated, a Motherboard replacement is pretty much the whole computer being replaced. How long have you had this computer/motherboard? if it has been more the 3 years, it would probably be time for a whole new computer. If the board is a few years old, you won't find a new one, so, it will be used with it's own set of problems or not. Chances are you are not going to find the same exact Motherboard, so you are probably going to need a new board that may not support the same RAM. So, you have to weigh between a computer that is brand new or slightly used or finding a board and getting lucky. When you add in the labor of building the computer, it might be easier to buy one pre-made.
As for 10, I have put drives with Windows 10 in a computer that has totally different chipset as the computer it was previously in, and it has loaded up. You have to download some drivers, including the Chipset but it actually works. Not so much with Windows 7 though.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:12 PM   #19
Registered Member

Thanks again for the replies, Stancestans and funk. I appreciate that you always reply.

The PC is 7 years old, which I know is considered "old", but it does all I need and then some, and it still looks like brand new (in/outside) because I take care of my stuff. The Asus P8P67 was a good board and it's all I need. I have the Intel i5 2500K SB, which I know is old too but it's more than enough and I really see no need to upgrade.

I found the exact motherboard for sale on the local CL but still haven't gone to see it. I know I'm taking a chance if it's used but I've always had good luck with electronics. I don't think I want to buy a brand new MB for like $250 and then have to buy RAM too. I'm just gonna take my chances with this one, IF the guy still has it.

Maybe I shouldn't be worried about the license then. I actually have a retail copy of Win 7, bought brand new from an electronic store many years ago and have the product key on the box. So, I'm good there I guess, and hopefully I won't have problems with the Win 10 HDD. BTW, I have an old HP PC with Windows 7 and 4 days ago I thought I'd try to upgrade to Win 10 and to my surprise it worked and now I have Win 10 and it says it's activated! I thought free upgrade no longer worked.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:22 PM   #20
Registered Member

My System

Microsoft originally said they were only allowing a limited Free Upgrade time, but since then have quietly allowed upgrades and downloads of Windows 10 for free. You still need a Windows 7 or later license to activate though.