Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Batch files in windows 7?

This is a discussion on Batch files in windows 7? within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am sure that there are backup programs that will do what I want, but I am looking for something

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I am sure that there are backup programs that will do what I want, but I am looking for something that is REALLY simple. Back in the days of DOS x.x and early windows, I had a simple batch file that would copy (backup all files from a folder on C: to a folder on D: Is it possible to do the same with Win 7? I should say, is it advisable because I have found tutorials to show me how to do this. Is this likely going to run into problems with any of the security features commonly found in a lan? Antivirus programs? Anything beyond my meager level of understanding of lans and wans? During the day, I save everything to my virtual drive on the server. I would periodically (at my whim) like to copy all of them to D: in my workstation as well as a flash drive that I have installed in my workstation. 3 commands would be adequate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Even though backup software has gotten pretty good in making sure your files are transferred, I personally like to do manual backups. Knowing what files are being backed up.

Batch coding still works in Windows 7 via the Command Prompt. You can still use all of your batch knowledge and programming to run in Windows 7.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Use XCOPY -

- https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ml#post2712192
- https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ml#post2637084

`
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, we switched to robocopy it is faster and very secure, from MS, it is newer then Xcopy.

Robocopy "Robust File Copy" | Windows CMD | SS64.com
Old 09-30-2014, 08:40 AM   #5
Registered Member

Windows 7's Library files make creating backups exceptionally easy. I run a small business from my desktop, and configured Win 7 to put all the business files into a folder called. . . would you believe. . . "Business Files". All I have to do to back up all the business files (which are in 55 separate folders) is drag-n-drop the Business Files Library folder to my SanDisk USB 3.0 jump drive. It moves over 5670 files from the HDD to the jump drive in about 80 sec. Simple, and no backup program needed.
Closed Thread