Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Batch file or command to delete directories named in a text file

This is a discussion on Batch file or command to delete directories named in a text file within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am wondering if anyone can provide the equivalent to this linux script. When run against a text file with

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 07:01 AM   #1
Registered Member

I am wondering if anyone can provide the equivalent to this linux script. When run against a text file with one entry per line being the name of a directory, it deletes the named directories.

On linux, I run this against the text list.
#!/bin/bash
while IFS='' read -r line || [[ -n "$line" ]]; do
rm -R $line
done < "$1"

I am not sure how to make it do the same for Windows. I can do this, but I'm hoping there's a way to delete based on what's in the text file. Also, wouldn't want it to prompt for deletion of each, but to just delete.

@echo on
cd \
cd %USERPROFILE%
dir /D /N 0
pause
for /D %%f in (XX*) do rmdir %%f /s
pause
%comspec% /k
pause

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

It's easiest to clean out the files before removing the directory.
echo Y|del *.* will clean out the files in a directory as long as there are no hidden or system files, you need to remove the attributes of files with the attrib command before the bat will delete the directory.
the echo Y| simply answers yes to any confirmation messages
Old 07-22-2016, 05:00 AM   #3
Registered Member

Unfortunately emptying the directories manually isn't an option. This would likely be used for auto deleting 30-50 directories. I just can't find the right command to run the delete based on the contents of a text list as an input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hey there .o/

Here's how I'd do it :
Code:
for /f "delims=*" %%a in ('type "Insert file name here"') do rd /s /q "%%a"
Note : if running from the command line and not from a batch file, replace "%%a" with "%a".
Old 07-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks, that is essentially what I ended up with and it works great.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search