Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Audio Issues - Very High DPC Latency and Interrupt to Process Latency

This is a discussion on Audio Issues - Very High DPC Latency and Interrupt to Process Latency within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Not sure if I'm posting this in the right subforum - I've been having crackling/popping audio issues while playing games

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #1
Registered Member

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right subforum - I've been having crackling/popping audio issues while playing games and using audio programs, and I've been trying to isolate the source/fix the problem, to no avail.

I ran LatencyMon for almost an entire day without really touching the computer or running any programs. Here are the results. Run on a Lenovo Thinkpad T530i.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 22:49:42 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name: JOSH-THINKPAD
OS version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601 (x64)
Hardware: 2359CTO, LENOVO
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Logical processors: 4
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 3792 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed: 2494.0 MHz
Measured CPU speed: 1600.0 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (s): 100012.849265
Average measured interrupt to process latency (s): 6.583932

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (s): 100010.796667
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (s): 1.561028

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (s): 193.247795
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.001129
Driver with highest ISR total time: hal.dll - Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.002930

ISR count (execution time <250 s): 3883963
ISR count (execution time 250-500 s): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 s): 0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 s): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 s): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 s): 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (s): 50832.859663
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: ndis.sys - NDIS 6.20 driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.010753
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: ndis.sys - NDIS 6.20 driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.029339

DPC count (execution time <250 s): 25648152
DPC count (execution time 250-500 s): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 s): 17010
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 s): 80
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 s): 0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 s): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: msmpeng.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 121675
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 59566
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (s): 11233721452821.40
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 6834.503615
Number of processes hit: 80

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 83.093287
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (s): 193.247795
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 5.508798
CPU 0 ISR count: 3060870
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (s): 1670.642743
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 40.952161
CPU 0 DPC count: 18901268
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 76.582250
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (s): 78.726544
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 4.123048
CPU 1 ISR count: 823093
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (s): 50832.859663
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 49.200081
CPU 1 DPC count: 2940905
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 35.729923
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 2 ISR count: 0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (s): 30272.505213
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 5.584679
CPU 2 DPC count: 3452635
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 15.740981
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR count: 0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (s): 709.651965
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.708232
CPU 3 DPC count: 370436

As you can see, NDIS.sys, which I believe is some sort of network driver, is causing latency problems. Underneath NDIS.sys as far as highest DPC execution time is ACPI.sys at 30ms.

Also maybe relevant: msmpeng.exe, a microsoft anti-malware executable, had 59566 hard pagefaults.

I'm really not sure what any of these terms mean but my google searching has led me to believe that they are what is causing my problems.

If there's any additional info I can provide that would be of help please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2015, 01:56 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Go to Start/Search and type devmgmt.msc, Right click the devmgmt results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Device Manager, are there any devices with yellow flags? If so, these devices need drivers installed. The NDIS error is for the Realtek Ethernet Driver
Even if there are no yellow flags, go to the Lenovo Download Drivers site Laptops and netbooks :: IdeaPad Z Series laptops :: IdeaPad Z560 - Lenovo Support (GB) choose your OS.
Download the Chipset, Realtek Ethernet driver, and the Conextant Audio driver for your model.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice!

Currently there are no yellow flags in the elevated device manager. Should I download the drivers from that page even though they aren't for my specific computer model? Would they work better than the T530 drivers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

My bad, no, download your drivers from here: Laptops and netbooks :: ThinkPad T Series laptops :: ThinkPad T530i - Lenovo Support (US)
Old 07-16-2015, 07:20 PM   #5
Registered Member

Okay, so weirdly enough, there is no chipset driver on that page. There are only weird supporting software programs which I'm not sure about. The ethernet driver and realtek audio driver are already downloaded and installed on my computer.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that CPU is being clocked at 1.6GHz instead of the advertised 2.5GHz? As the program says, I disabled Intel SpeedStep in my BIOS setup but I'm not sure which options in the Control Panel could be CPU throttling.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:29 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Download the most Recent driver for your computer, even if there are no yellow flags in Device Manager. You have to click the Show All link at the bottom to be taken to more downloads and the Chipset driver: Laptops and netbooks :: ThinkPad T Series laptops :: ThinkPad T530i - Lenovo Support (US)
Check in the Bios and go to Integrated Peripherals., Overclock or some such and look for CPU and see if you can change it there
Old 07-16-2015, 08:15 PM   #7
Registered Member

I couldn't find any such settings in the BIOS. However, I came across something interesting: I ran Open Hardware Monitor to check CPU temperatures, and my temperatures are way high! Idling around 65-68 degrees Celsius, they peaked at around 99 degrees when I opened Skyrim to test it out. This probably has something to do with the throttling I'm experiencing.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:29 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Open the case and clean out all dust and blow out all fans with a can of compressed air. Start the computer and make sure all fans are spinning. If you continue to have high temps, you may need to reapply Thermal Paste between the Heat Sync and the Processor
Closed Thread