Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

An active directory domain controller for the domain could not be contacted

This is a discussion on An active directory domain controller for the domain could not be contacted within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone, So on my work laptop yesterday i got disconnected from the network, and upon trying to reconnect i

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 02:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello everyone,

So on my work laptop yesterday i got disconnected from the network, and upon trying to reconnect i had internet access but no network access, ran through some diag, was able to ping my other work station, ip,dns and dg where all fine, checked for dns records issue, none found. so i removed it from the domain and tried re-adding it, and this is where the problem is no matter what i do i cannot add this laptop on the domain. i get full internet access on the network but no network access. i know the Dns server is functioning perfectly and cant be the issue, i have also flushed dns, rebuilt tcp/Ip stack and removed all lan and wlan profiles. i am also getting a certificate error when trying to access the network on wlan.

Using my local admin here are some print screens of first the issue when trying to add the laptop back to the domain, then Ping results to my DNS server .

after removing the machine from the domain it now no longer picking up the correct DNS server.

Would assigning a new DNS record resolve the issue???

he following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for domain "bareesc.bareescentuals.com":

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.bareesc.bareescentuals.com

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV records required to locate a AD DC for the domain are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server automatically when a AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD DC at set intervals.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : bareesc.bareescentuals.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (3) I218-LM
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 68-F7-28-90-0A-57
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::99ba:785c:21f8:625e%13(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.31.34.67(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, August 25, 2015 9:50:39 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, August 25, 2015 5:50:38 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.31.34.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.31.32.134
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 292091688
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-1F-92-36-68-F7-28-90-0A-57

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 199.203.131.150
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Ping to correct DNS servers
C:\Users\beops>ping 10.31.32.133

Pinging 10.31.32.133 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 10.31.32.133: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127

C:\Users\beops>ping 10.31.32.130

Pinging 10.31.32.130 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 10.31.32.130: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127
Reply from 10.31.32.130: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=127

Its driving me crazy, !i ask about the DNS record fix as i dont have the current access to do it/test it myself!

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
Registered Member

Funny enough, we've found a handful of users on our network today unable to access local resources for the same reason!

Your DNS settings are being hijacked. They should point at your DC, but instead are pointed at a malicious DNS server hosted somewhere in Israel. Give your computer a good bath before letting play with the other children again.

We're currently in the process of mediation around here, too.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-25-2015, 02:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
!i ask about the DNS record fix as i dont have the current access to do it/test it myself!
You're IT dept should be able to fix this for you. The DNS server should be the same as the DHCP server (eg) 10.31.32.134 or .133.
Try manually changing the DNS server. Go to Start/Search and type ncpa.cpl and press enter. Right click the Local Area Connection and choose Properties. Highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Choose Properties. Try changing it to Obtain DNS Service address Automatically, and join the Domain, if that doesn't work, type in the DNS Server address.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2015, 08:57 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
You're IT dept should be able to fix this for you. The DNS server should be the same as the DHCP server (eg) 10.31.32.134 or .133.
Try manually changing the DNS server. Go to Start/Search and type ncpa.cpl and press enter. Right click the Local Area Connection and choose Properties. Highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Choose Properties. Try changing it to Obtain DNS Service address Automatically, and join the Domain, if that doesn't work, type in the DNS Server address.
FYI, this was dangerous advice. In my case, I changed the DNS back to DHCP and was well... until a reboot. Scanned the machines and found a boatload of malware on those particular machines.

It's important to recognize that those specific IP addresses are indicative of an infection, not just a bad networking config.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:04 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3N0 View Post
...so i removed it from the domain and tried re-adding it, and this is where the problem is no matter what i do i cannot add this laptop on the domain. ...i am also getting a certificate error when trying to access the network on wlan.
Your wireless certificate issue is due to not being on the domain. If you can join the domain then your certificate error should go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3N0 View Post
after removing the machine from the domain it now no longer picking up the correct DNS server.

Would assigning a new DNS record resolve the issue???
No, this would only work around the problem, which is, with 99.9% certainty, that you're infected. You actually do NOT want to join the domain because that exposes the domain to whatever it is you're infected with, and you don't even know what it is that you're infected with.
Closed Thread