Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

admin no longer admin

This is a discussion on admin no longer admin within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i am the lone user on a laptop running w7hp. i have my one, default, ID which supposedly has admin

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 11:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

i am the lone user on a laptop running w7hp. i have my one, default, ID which supposedly has admin privileges, yet windows update has suddenly decided otherwise. starting around late july.

right-click "run as admin" leads to the same "must be admin" denial for me. and "allow all users" is checked, in any case. UAC set to "never notify".

unlike others in some similar threads, i have NO PROBLEMS that i know of with regedit, cmd prompt, HDD access or anything else. just windows updates!

based on some hints elsewhere, i tried THIS: Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7, 8, or 10

to no avail. admin acct is somehow not authorized (!) to switch my default ID to admin as well. i guess. i dunno. it says the ID is admin, but then under "change acct type" it indicates "standard user" with the option for "administrator" nonfunctional. huh? admin up top but NON-admin 3 inches below????

[same thing if i try to do it directly inside said ID in the first place, btw]

ok, forget about upgrading the default ID; i'll just stay in the real/formerly hidden admin acct and run updates from there. no dice. same popup telling me must be admin. ditto (lastly) if i do it with "run as administrator".

so...admin running as double-admin is not admin enuf for wupdates. what gives?

have run MBAM, SpyBot and HJT several times. currently DLing and trying Avast. but this seems roundabout. what is the actual PROBLEM here?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2015, 05:59 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Try allowing UAC, then when it asks for your PW, put it in.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:34 AM   #3
Registered Member

never comes up. even with UAC set all the way up, i just get the denial popup, same as before. (exact wording is "wupdates cannot currently check for updates b/c updates on this computer are controlled by your sysadm", btw; somewhere else i got the explicit "sysadm has turned off this feature" but now i can't find where) nothing asking for any PW anywhere.

i'm putting UAC back for now, pending next suggestion.

tx anyway tho!

PS: Avast found 3 PUPs and 4 trojans, but quarantining them didn't affect this issue. MBAM is same ole same ole since I'd already run it frequently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2015, 09:01 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

When I first looked at this, it appeared it wasn't a personal computer. The message confirms this. I imagine it is really your personal one, so perhaps you can confirm why it's acting like a company unit to solve this problem.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
Registered Member

sorry if i wasn't clear on something. it is 100% a home PC (laptop) in my house, with no connection whatsoever to any company or LAN or anything. in fact, i'm still on DIALUP most of the time!

(use WIFI as well, but only when out and about...sbux, public libes, etc....)

so u think it's subordinated both my default ID and my once-hidden "admin" ID to some even HIGHER admin...which it thinks is elsewhere? ok. sounds reasonable, but where's that leave us?

there seems to be a smattering of ppl with this problem starting in late july. i'm guessing it has something to do with the w10 rollout, but who knows? other boards have said "sounds like a virus", which, frankly, i would not have even CONSIDERED, given the symptoms. unless the whole point of the virus is to take remote control of the machine at some point and wupdates stand in its way.

similar threads have talked ppl through system restores, recovery partitions, reinstalls, and a whole lot of registry tweakery. i'm no noob but i don't wanna jump to any of those w/o even some GRASP as to what the problem is. (plus those threads are generally dealing with loss of admin privileges for a lot more things -- drive access, boot options, use of cmd and regedit etc as i said -- guy w just the basic update problem like me had his go away after MBAM/Avast/reboot. no such luck here.)

i can post links to those if desired, but i didn't wanna clutter things up unnecessarily.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:54 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Go to Start/Search and type netplwiz and press enter. This should list all of the users on your computer. Make sure your user account is an Admin.
To know what User profile you are logged into, click the Start button, in the right half of the menu should be the name of the user that is logged in. If it says Default User, your User Profile has become corrupted and Windows has loaded the Default User profile. Fix a corrupted user profile - Windows Help
Old 09-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #7
Registered Member

the latter says i'm in my default one and the former says it has admin privileges. i think. once again, there are inconsistencies on the SAME POPUP -- from netplwiz >> [default ID] >> properties >> group membership offers me 3 options: standard user, administrator (administrator's group) and "other"...the first entry of which is ADMINISTRATORS. so what's the diff between that and #2?!

prose underneath it sounds like it's a bit STRONGER of an admin than #2 (which may be asked for a PW, according to UAC setting; #3 won't, i guess?), but i tried it and it gets my acct no further along with wupdates.

btw, if my ID is "corrupted", as u propose, then why can't i run wupdates from my real/formerly hidden admin acct? are u saying that is ALSO (coincidentally?) corrupted?

seems that no matter WHAT i log into, it's gonna say wupdates is off limits. so isn't the problem with wupdates itself rather than the ID?

when i started this thread, i was thinking like u that the profile might be corrupted, but now that i see OTHER profiles acting the exact same way, that no longer seems likely. i mean, even without fixing that ID, i could just make a NEW one and tag THAT admin as well, but i'm pretty sure at this point it too will be blocked from running wupdates.

no?
Old 09-17-2015, 03:12 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

There is a Hidden Administrator account #1, that can be enabled if need be for troubleshooting purposes. #2 is an Admin User (eg) User with Admin rights, which your login should have been. If it says you are logged in as Default User, then your User Profile has become corrupted. Please follow the link in post #6 to go to Control Panel/User Accounts and create a new User with Admin rights, log out as Default User a login as the new User, and copy your personal files to that user profile, and login as that user from now on.
Closed Thread