Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Acer Aspire 5742, IntelCore i3-380M goes black after acer logo loads

This is a discussion on Acer Aspire 5742, IntelCore i3-380M goes black after acer logo loads within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5742, IntelCore i3-380M I am attaching a few pictures of what comes on the

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 04:39 AM   #1
Registered Member

Smile

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5742, IntelCore i3-380M
I am attaching a few pictures of what comes on the screen when I turn it on.
Even in safe mode it does not let me log in, it attempts repairs, it fails and then goes to the black screen with the white cursor.
If I try to start windows normally it loads the logo and then goes to the black screen.
Yesterday, in an attempt to do repairs it was replacing invalid security drivers or something like that and it was taking ages so I had to turn it off.
For the last week it took very long to start up, failing to configure windows but it would eventually let me log in.
Since yesterday I am only getting the black screen. it is windows 7 by the way.

i need a very quick reply please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 07:33 AM   #2
Troubled

Quick reply!!! Save your data and restore back to factory. Always have a back up image of your OS on a external drive for next time you have this problem!!
Old 04-16-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Your HDD may be failing. You can recover your files using an Ubuntu Live CD and save them to a USB HDD. then you can do a Factory Restore by holding down the Alt + F10 keys at bootup. Acer Aspire System Recovery Partition
If recovery fails, your HDD may be failing. You can download the ISO image for Seatools in my signature and burn the image to CD using IMGBurn or use Seaflash also in my signature. Do the Short and Long diagnostic tests on the HDD if either test fails the HDD needs to be replaced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

this is a follow up from my message sent to you yesterday.

i went to the customer.

basically, startup repair does not work from the system recovery options when you click repair your computer from the advanced boot options menu when you first press F8 when the computer first comes on , safe mode does not work either!

I tried to do a system restore from the system recovery options menu but there were no system restore point dates at all to choose from!

she did not want to do a factory reset on the Acer because all of her data would have been lost.

I went to the acer ercovery mgt (v7.7.6) screen where the files are backed up under where it says restore progress and the documents etc, etc are sent to the backup folder.

However, because it was very slow backing up the files, I left, and apparently it stopped backing up the files at 22%. She has since taken the laptop to pc world to recover the data she wants to keep!

I think that the laptop either has a corrupted master boot record or a virus that could have corrupted the master boot record which means that windows 7 cannot be loaded at all!

From the information given above, do you agree with me on this?
Old 04-17-2015, 02:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
You can recover your files using an Ubuntu Live CD and save them to a USB HDD.
It still sounds like the HDD is failing. In the Future, if a customer doesn't want to do a Factory Restore for fear of loosing files, backup their data to a USB HDD or Network drive by using a Ubuntu Live CD or by pulling the HDD from the laptop and connecting it internally to a desktop computer, via a USB Adapter, USB Dock or by putting it into a USB Enclosure and saving the files to that computer. Then you can restore the files back after the Factory Restore.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:49 AM   #6
Registered Member

thanks for the reply

i have hirens boot cd on a flash drive and on a dvd-rw.

I am not comfortable taking out hard drives, connecting them to a desktop computer via usb adaptors, hdd enclosures etc etc, to recover data from dead or failing hard drives.

I would rather just use hirens, and test the hard drive, outside of windows and safe mode, to see if it is failing, using their diagnostic tools! Which tool should i use from hirens to test the hard drive for failure outside of windows and safe mode? i am assuming i can use the seagate tool
Old 04-21-2015, 12:16 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

We can not recommend nor support the use of Hirens Boot CD at TSF due to software copy write infringement.

The Ubuntu Live CD also allows you to do HDD diagnostics. Windows chkdsk (Hirens Boot CD has a illegal copy of Windows XP in it) does not it only test for bad sectors and moves any data in those bad sectors if possible else where.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	229777  

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Closed Thread