Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

2 pair dual channel issue

This is a discussion on 2 pair dual channel issue within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I happened to have a chance to upgrade my ram from 1 pair to 2 pairs of OCZ Platinum Revision

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #1

I happened to have a chance to upgrade my ram from 1 pair to 2 pairs of OCZ Platinum Revision DDR2 PC800 2x1GB Dual Channel Ram at no cost to me after rebates. After installing these into my MSI P6N-SLI Platinum mainboard, windows vista (business x64) would not load in its normal mode.

It -would- load and recognize the RAM in safe mode. The bios also passed the ram check for all 4 GB of RAM. An attempt to run windows vista memory diagnostic from the DVD determined that there was a vague 'hardware error'. Since the RAM had passed the bios check, and since Safe-Mode recognized the RAM, I was mostly sure I had good RAM, but tested each stick by running the system not using dual channel running instead 3 sticks separately. (The 2 original and one of the new sticks.)

After doing this and the system booting successfully with each of the new sticks as the third gig, I was absolutely sure I didn't have bad sticks. After trying switching the configurations of which pairs were in which of the paired slots (though always maintaining the proper pairs together), still no positive results. So currently I am running with one new stick in its packaging, and one stick and my original pair in the machine.

I would naturally like to run with all 4 gigs of ram in the machine. I would prefer to run both pairs in dual channel mode. If anyone has any tips or can assist me in some way in getting windows to recognize all four gigs as dual channel, I would appreciate it.

Otherwise, would not using the paired slots (1 & 3, 2 & 4) for each pair, but rather using 1&2, 3&4 for the pairs give me 4 gigs of ram not running in dual channel mode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

with 4 sticks in you may need to lift the volatage for them

Closed Thread