Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

2 fresh W7 installs. cpu won't boot or safe

This is a discussion on 2 fresh W7 installs. cpu won't boot or safe within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. started having problems thursday night. I'm pretty sure I had some malware. I was getting a " Dcom Server Process

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

started having problems thursday night. I'm pretty sure I had some malware. I was getting a "Dcom Server Process Launcher Terminated Unexpectedly" message common with malware, so assumed that was the case. I had done some torrenting that week, i must have picked up something.

I scanned the pc with malwarebytes, spybot, and the eset online scanner and found nothing. So i reinstalled windows with a full format of my hard drive.

Got everything up and running again, played brink for a few hours and it freezes after a sleep session and subsequently won't boot. It won't go to safe mode or anything. the only windows i can get to is the boot repair screens that scan and return no help.

So today i reinstalled again (format again) and after getting up and running for some hours it starts having a few errors. I reboot it and the boot problems return and I can't get to any form of windows, safe mode or command prompt.

As i'm typing this topic on my laptop the pc in question boots to windows. I come to this site to get the downloads for the reports to run for spy/malware, and windows explorer has stopped responding, it restarts, over and over. I can't even click the start menu all it can do is close and try to restart windows explorer in a loop.

Can malware persist after a format? What on earth is going on here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 12:22 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

did you format the drive prior to installing win7? after reinstalling, did you go to the computer manufacturers website, search for your specific computer and download the latest drivers for your system?

you can also run HDDScan on your drive to see if it is going bad.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

a freind of mine had a simalar issue not long ago where the power connectors to the hdd's were going bad and lossing connections he replaced the power connectors for the hdd's and the issue went away. im not saying that this is your issue but its worth takin a look to see if any connections have come loose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses!

I formatted both times prior to the installations. Each time i got mouse, keyboard, and video card drivers up to date. I can't seem to get to any form of command prompt to run chkdisk or anything.

I checked the hard drive power cables, and when i booted it wouldnt detect the raid (2 hds). So i check the cables a few more times and can get it to detect them, but the original symptoms are still there of course. So the cables or the drives certainly could be faulty. I hear the drives make some strange noises sometimes on boot.

2 other things:
got a BSOD during a windows session:
STOP: 0X000000F4 (0X00000003, 0X8E81AD40, 0X8E81AEAC, 0X8AA2CD50)
was the error message.

Also when i installed windows both times i had a mysterious 11 MB partition of my C: drive. from the windows install screen i couldn't remove it or anything. Thought this was kinda shady.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crue View Post
Thanks for the responses!

I formatted both times prior to the installations. Each time i got mouse, keyboard, and video card drivers up to date. I can't seem to get to any form of command prompt to run chkdisk or anything.
but you can run chkdisk and the drive test from an os disk also hddscan is an iso file so you can boot to it from a cd too.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
Registered Member

ran chkdsk and the support mode memory test and found no errors. Windows will commonly boot now and subsquently gets stuck in a "windows explorer has stopped resopnding" and "windows explorer is now restarting" loop.

hddscan wouldnt run from the os disk command prompt.
Closed Thread