Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Yet another Dell 9100 with power issues, would love some help.

This is a discussion on Yet another Dell 9100 with power issues, would love some help. within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Long story sh..long- I've got a Dell 9100 that has been operating just fine till a few days ago. Ran

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

Long story sh..long-

I've got a Dell 9100 that has been operating just fine till a few days ago. Ran a malwarebytes scan and it froze up, so I decided to power down via holding down on the power button to restart. The computer then failed to restart again.

Opened the computer up, horribly dusty. Cleaned out/inspected the motherboard and all other components - no bad caps, nothing looking fried.

No green or amber light on the power button (though see below), no diagnostic lights or beeps... Just plain nothing. Of course on the motherboard the little led lights up but that's it.

I did all of the tests... Paperclip test - power supply works. Tried my multi meter and also borrowed a psu tester and both showed proper voltages within tolerances. Then I tried jumping paperclip test style, but I put the clip on the back side of the plug so I could still plug it in to the board. This produced a solid amber power button light, and diagnostic lights 1,2, and 3 lit up, but that was it. Then I tried unplugging the dvd/cd drives and took out all but 1 stick of ram, and still no start up.

Does this sound like the i/o switch being dead, or the motherboard?

What else might I try to diagnose, or are these clear signs of something in particular being faulty?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #2
Emeritus

Testing a PSU without a load is inconclusive.
You can bypass the Power button by jumping the tho Power pins on the Mobo.
Do you have or can you borrow a known good PSU to try?

Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Registered Member

Whoops... Forgot that detail, I grabbed an old hard drive and plugged that in to the power supply during testing. That counts as a decent load on the supply right?

I have a few old computers that I could probably grab a supply from. Shouldn't be an issue if they're lower power if I only plug in the mobo and hd right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

That would depend on what if any video card you have.

Check the capacitors on the motherboard for any signs of domed tops, swelling, leakage, loose or missing cans > Badcaps.net - How To Identify

9100's, 9150's, XPS 400's & 410's are getting to known for cap issues.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Registered Member

I do have a video card, nothing high powered or special... just something that came with the computer.

Caps are all good, I've deal with my share of bad caps in other devices.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Try it see if it boots.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Registered Member

Try a different psu with it you mean? Ok, I'll try that.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Yep that's what I meant.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Registered Member

Managed to find a used power supply that was lower powered than the current psu, and installed it just to test... Seems everything works again!

So I assume that means it was the psu right? Now I can go find a similar one that's the same or slightly higher powered and it, in theory, should be good to go right?
Old 07-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Yep that's what it means, put something decent in it. > Newegg.com - SeaSonic S12II 430B 430W ATX12V V2.3/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Old 07-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
Registered Member

I love newegg, is that an affiliate link where you guys will get some sort of credit/money for recommending them (I actually hope it is, you've been very helpful)?
Old 07-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Nope doesn't work that way here, simply good service at a reasonable price.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
Registered Member

Much appreciated! Just had another computer act up with issues, this time my parent's box.

What section should I post in to ask about things like everything disappearing from their desktop?
Old 07-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #14
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

XP or Win7/Vista support is a place to start> Microsoft Support - Tech Support Forum
Old 07-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #15
Registered Member

Received and installed the new psu, it's great. 2 new things have started happening.

On startup, the computer says something about a floppy drive error (there's never been one in this box). F1 to continue, F2 to setup. I've setup and tried to get it to ignore the floppy test during boot, seems to still happen.

Also, now the fan attached to the heat sink really kicks in/is loud whenever the cpu is doing anything more than idling. This fan was near silent before. Any ideas? Might it be overcompensating to cool the cpu since I didn't re-apply thermal paste? Seemed like there was already some on there and I figured it was enough.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
Emeritus

Boot to the Bios and Disable the Floppy drive and/or remove it from the boot list.
Whenever the contact between the CPU and the CPU heatsink is disturbed the thermal paste needs to be reapplied.
Thoroughly remove all the old paste from both areas with 90% alcohol and apply fresh paste. Any PC shop should have thermal paste in stock.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #17
Registered Member

Alright will do, do you think that's the issue here? Or the logical next step to see if it eliminates the problem I suppose...
Old 07-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #18
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Most likely the thermal paste is the issue.

Does the PC keep the correct date and time after being shut down?

If not check the coin cell battery is tight in the holder if not the bios setting will revert to defaults anytime power is removed.
Closed Thread