Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

WoW locks up!

This is a discussion on WoW locks up! within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I came here because of outstanding rudeness of World of Warcraft europe "tech support". They do not answer to my

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #1

I came here because of outstanding rudeness of World of Warcraft europe "tech support". They do not answer to my - and thousands of other players' - mail for weeks. On the tech support forums there are no responds too. My problem is that the game hangs up and I have to restart my computer. It happens since I installed WotLK (I haven't played WoW for 3 months before WotLK). After some period of time spent on playing the game just hangs up and I can't even move the cursor. The problem occurs also with WoW not running - but only when I firstly enter WoW and exit it. Maybe you have an idea what to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

have you tried updating your video card drivers?
Old 01-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #3

Of course I did...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

To avoid confusion and speed things up a bit, tell us all the things you've done to try and fix this problem.

Post your full system specs. The details you've entered under My System don't tell us the CPU or PSU.

Are your chipset drivers, graphics driver, Realtek and DirectX up to date? Any red or yellow flags in Device Manager?

Have you tried dropping back to an earlier graphics driver. This can sometimes help as the latest versions are often still in beta.

What are your temperatures and voltage in BIOS and during fullscreen gameplay? Post both sets of figures so we can see how your computer copes under stress.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #5

What do you mean concretely by CPU?

Do I have to "open" my computer to check my power supply?

I recently updated all my drivers.

When the problem started I had some earlier graphics drivers. I updated them and, of course, nothing has changed.

When playing:
Temperature of mainboard: 35C
Temp. of processor: 79C
Temp. of aux: 95C

Values of voltage:
Voltage of processor's core: 2.70 V
Additional processor's voltage: 3.66 V
+3.3 V 3.26 V
+5 V 5.46 V
+12 V 10.52 V
-12 V 3.11 V
-5 V 1.44 V
+5 V when stopped working 4.92 V

...And how to check the voltage in BIOS? You know, I never had such problems with any other game and I do not much about it.

Also, I am very grateful for your interest in my case - I appreciate that you try to help me, unlike those bastards from tech support (the record for ignoring a mail from a player is... 3 months I heard).
Old 01-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

The CPU is the Central Processing Unit, the brains of the computer, the big chip on your motherboard with a lump of metal and a fan on top of it.

The only way you can get the PSU (power supply unit) details is by removing the side panel of the case and looking at the label. There is no software that will give you all these details (make/model, total watts, +12V amps). See pic below for an example label.

Your readings show a few problems. The processor temperature (CPU) is too hot at 79C. The aux temperature is also too high, probably due to a poor cooling system, faulty or missing case fans, etc.

The +12V reading of 10.52V shows that the power supply is being overworked or is faulty, which could also explain the high temperatures. This is a common cause for computers crashing during fullscreen gameplay, where the system is under the most stress. The details on the side of the PSU label will help us to see what's going on.

You can check the voltages and temperatures in BIOS by restarting the computer. Just after switching it back on, keep tapping the Del key on the keyboard. This will stop Windows from starting to load and take you into an old-style screen where you have to use the cursor keys to navigate. See pic below for an example of a BIOS screen.

If the +12V reading in BIOS, when the system is idle and not using much power, is below 11.4V then you need to replace it with a higher quality one before it damages your graphics card and other components.

There might be other problems with the game or with system files and drivers, but the we need to get the temperatures back to normal and look at the weak power supply first. I haven't played WoW, so I'll leave that side of things to the gamers.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #7

Ach, so CPU is just processor - I have Intel Celeron 2.93 GHz.

Here is my PSU label.

In BIOS' hardware monitor I checked my +12V - it is about 12.1.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Your PSU is a 330W generic with only 19 amps on the +12V line. That would be ok for onboard graphics, and just about enough for an AGP card, but too low for a PCIE card.

Your PCIE Radeon X550 needs a stronger PSU. Something like a 550W with over 28A/+12V would be ideal.

When the +12V reading in BIOS is good, as yours is, but drops in Windows and during gameplay, it means that the graphics card is not getting enough power, causing the PSU to struggle under the pressure.

Or the 10.52V reading you got earlier could be incorrect. You can check it again with another system monitor during gameplay to confirm this, but I'd say the problem is that your PSU is too weak for your graphics card and should be replaced.

System monitors for temperatures and voltages:
Everest
SensorsView
SpeedFan
Old 01-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #9

With Everest my +12V equals 9.3V.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Time for a new PSU. Let us know your price limit if you need any suggestions.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #11

How to say it... I am from Poland and my mother earns less than you have in your pocket when you go to groceries. I spared for WoW, but - from what I see in the Internet - a new PSU is a beatiful dream if it costs more than 100 dollars, counting from Złote. But there is a small chance - I have a friend which is keen on informatics too and he propably could have some special offer from his well known men, you know... But I guess it will be too much anyway. Ach... I will have to live with it.

Is it possible that thousands of players who have the same problem as me have their PSUs broken up or too weak too? Not that I question your mind, just curious.

Anyway, thanks very much for your time and your help. I will contact the man which I mentioned and talk with him about this too.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #12
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Like I said earlier, there could still be a problem with the game or drivers or system files that we haven't looked at yet, but your PSU is not strong enough for a PCIE gaming computer, and could cause some expensive damage in the future. Keep an eye on the temperatures and +12V reading when playing fullscreen games until you can get it replaced.

If you can get hold of a cheap PSU, post back here with the details and we'll tell you if it's worth buying. We never try to push expensive hardware onto people, but we also won't recommend anything that is not suitable.

Hang on for some more replies from the WoW gamers. They might have a few suggestions.

Good luck
Old 01-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #13

Ok, thanks. I will do what I can to replace it someday.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:20 AM   #14

I have noticed that the screen freezing is more frequent while alt+tabbing... You know, I alt+tab 4-5 times and it freezes - always on the beginning of the process of alt+tabbing, always at the desktop when WoW appears as a black square and I see winamp in the background too. Then it locks up and I can't do anything - it would lock up anyway, but later, you know what I mean. Is this linked with PSU somehow?
Old 01-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #15

Uff... My problem is solved. I opened my computer and blew up the dirt from the ventilator. I nearly coughed to death from the clouds that were blown all over the room, but... Now not only my WoW doesn't freeze from yesterday, but also the whole system works double quick as before. It wasn't crucial to buy a new PSU, thankfully.

Alleluja!
Old 01-18-2009, 03:34 AM   #16
Troubled

OS: xp pro sp3, 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Server 2003, Server 2008, VMware vCenter Server

My System

Send a message via MSN to vladimirb Send a message via Yahoo to vladimirb Send a message via Skype™ to vladimirb

How much RAM do you have installed???
Cleaning case from inside from dust was good thing and I hope you wont experience this problem again...
I know how annoying and painful this could be =)
Old 01-18-2009, 07:05 AM   #17
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Thanks for posting your solution.

This doesn't change the fact that your PSU is too weak for your computer, but at least removing the dust will take some of the strain off the already overworked PSU.

Keep an eye on the +12V reading and all system temperatures during gameplay. Weak PSUs have a tendency to run ok for a while, then suddenly die when under stress, often taking the graphics card and CPU with them.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #18

Ok, I will remember. It seems soon I will have to buy a new PSU anyway...
Closed Thread