Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Won't turn on - maybe PSU?

This is a discussion on Won't turn on - maybe PSU? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, My computer is always on, but my monitor was behaving strangely this AM and the auto-config and manual config

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

My computer is always on, but my monitor was behaving strangely this AM and the auto-config and manual config options weren't fixing it, so I shut down before going into work.

Upon arriving home, my tower would not turn back on. Since I rarely turn the system off, and it had been running fine previously I thought the power button going could be the solution but my troubleshooting seems to, well - I don't know what it all indicates, that's why I'm asking you guys

If I disconnect the 20-pin connector from the motherboard and reconnect it, the motherboard LED stays solid green, then, if I press the power button, the LED blinks (and my speakers seem to pulse along with this).

I'd read that if you suspect a bum power button that you could unhook the power button connection from the motherboard and try to bridge that connection with metal - I just touched the two pins with the end of a stainless steel letter opener and nothing happened.

What should my next step be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

I'd get another PSU and replace the old one. That will at least tell you if it is the PSU.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Registered Member

When I built the computer the PSU was 20 pins but motherboard was 24 and so I reused an old PSU I had, but saved the new PSU (it was part of a bundled kit). Dug the PSU out of the attic and finally figured out how to make it fit and things are solved.

I suppose I mostly found it weird that things were working this morning and then it's dead when I come home.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Emeritus

PSU's, as with any component, can fail at any time.
Hopefully the replacement PSU is a good quality (bundles commonly include low quality PSU's) unit with sufficient power for your hardware.

Closed Thread