Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Won't Turn On - Dead

This is a discussion on Won't Turn On - Dead within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi: I push the power button, nothing happens. I have had some power surges/outages lately and I think maybe the

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi:

I push the power button, nothing happens. I have had some power surges/outages lately and I think maybe the power supply took one too many of them, not sure.

The little green light on the back of the computer is on, but nothing happens when you try to turn it on, NOTHING!!

Here are the system stats as of a few weeks ago that I posted in another forum here:

Compaq SR2011WM
XP SP3 Media Center Edition
ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Series
Celeron 352 3.20Ghz
HP Althena RC410M
1.43Gb Ram
Hipro HP-D3057F3R
Output 300Watts
Motherboard 89.6 to 91.4 Degrees
32 or 33 Celsius
CPU Core voltage 1.264 to 1.248
Memory Controller voltage 1.20

Where do I start troubleshooting?

Thanks for your help.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

I would start by replacing the power supply.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
Emeritus

Sounds like a failed PSU. Do you have or can you borrow a good quality PSU to try?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
Registered Member

Hi:
2 questions:

1. If I take one from another computer I have, do I have to worry about voltages, watts, etc?

2. If I was going to buy a power supply, what brand, specs do I look for?

Thank you, Paul
Old 11-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

You'd want to test with a power supply that is at least 300W if that's what is currently in there. Other than that there's not much else to it.

You don't need a high power PSU for that system so you don't need to look at the higher end of the market. On the lower end, I've user Coolermaster, Antec, Enermax and Thermaltake. Of those only the Antec failed and that was after 4 years.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
Emeritus

Only good quality PSU's should be used in any system. Low quality PSU's only cause more problems.
https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...on-192217.html

For your hardware: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Old 11-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

i think the first step you should take is : (with enough experience)
WARNING : (make sure the main power cable from the wall plug is unplugged while plugging and unplugging anything from within the case)

unplug everything connected to the PSU except for the motherboard check if the

LED on the motherboard is lighting up , or blinking (which is not a good thing ).

When everything else is unplugged and it still does not boot up or have a

beep sound.

change PSU's for testing , the wattage should be above 300 w but if

everything else is unplugged it shouldn't matter too much how high the

wattage should be .
Old 11-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
Registered Member

here got another method to test your PSU:

Techware Labs - Guides - How to Hot Wire a Power Supply for Accessory Testing

do this at your own risk.
Closed Thread