Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Windows 7 crashes when it feels like it

This is a discussion on Windows 7 crashes when it feels like it within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Good day I hope u clever okes can help me My pc has been freezing now and again.it started about

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #1

Good day
I hope u clever okes can help me
My pc has been freezing now and again.it started about 4weeks ago when i bought a new graphics card(gtx 260 sonic edition) and loaded windows 7.a week after that the freezing started.i would be playing mw2 and then out of the blue it just freezes picture is still there but cnt do anything and the sound would make a very weird humming noise(never got a blue screen).id then hav to force restart.this would happen after a hole day of gaming.it happened even while i was watching series once.other games were cnc3 and cod4.then my first thought was graphics card took it in they said it happened while they tested it aswell.so i got a 2nd card again a week after that it did it again.i took it back again and told them i do not want this kaka give me a ati 4870 sonic edition.played this time for 2 weeks and here i am with my problem.it started yesterday.i was playing mw2 again and at about 18:30 had dinner came back and my pc froze while in desktop.restarted and started playing again and thats when it happened during mw2 i restarted and it did it again while in game.ive read the forums through and through did a mem test nothing wrong with my ram.i really dnt know where to start.
My temps are also fine gfx at 65deg while gaming
Hope someone can help me

Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model EP43-UD3L
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, 2333 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F5, 2009/08/13
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale South Africa
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name Zack-PC\Zack
Time Zone South Africa Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.50 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.84 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.83 GB
Page File Space 3.50 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
GfX:ATI 4870 sonic 1gig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

How about the power supply? Can you tell us what make and model it?
Old 12-19-2009, 12:05 AM   #3

My power supply is a huntkey 550w model=LW-6550HG .its a new power supply.i dnt understand how it can only freeze when it wants to.i play for the hole day and nothing will happen.surely if its a power problem it will do it more frequently.
thanx for ur reply so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2009, 04:28 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

That PSU is no good. No wonder the GTX260 is causing problems. Really you need to upgrade to a decent 750W PSU like this one.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:51 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via AIM to angelic00 Send a message via MSN to angelic00

It might be a heating issue. Are all your fans and/or liquid cooling systems functioning properly?

It could also be your video card drivers malfunctioning. Completely uninstall your NVIDIA Drivers and reinstall them.

Or, it could be what Lord Sirian said. Your PSU Is no good.

Here's a nice power supply that's got quite a kick to it. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006 ($110)
Old 12-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #6
Emeritus

You are using very low quality PSU that is very underpowered for you hardware.
The Corsair linked to is a good unit. A better deal is the SeaSonic S12D $100 w/free shipping.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151084

Old 12-21-2009, 09:15 AM   #7

Ok.thats all good you guys saying its my power supply but my friend is running the same card as i am also with a 550w power supply he has no problems.Another friend of mine is running a gts 250 with a 450w power supply with 4hard drives,sound card and a core to qaud also no probs.
Plz i am not undermining u guys but i just cant get my head around it.Why would my pc run the hole day and only crash now and again if it is the psu?if it was under heavy load it should crash more often.I dnt mind spending the money and getting a better psu but i want to be sure that will solve the problem.Could it be that my PSU (new) is faulty by any chance and if thats the case is ther a program to test it.maybe put it under a load somehow.
I dnt have any liquid cooling but i do have a gaming case with a 200mm fan on the side that sucks air in and anither fan that blows out.its defenitely not my gfx overheating cause i run HW monitor and my temps are normal.ive just gotten the new card so the drivers are up tp date but ill uninstall and reinstall it just to be sure.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
Emeritus

From ATI: 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended.
Your system is underpowered even if you had a good quality PSU.
You friends are fortunate.
I can't explain why your PC crashes "now and again" but that symptom is not unheard of when using a low quality underpowered PSU.
There are ways to test a PC under load but it requires very expensive equipment to test one properly and accurately.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
Troubled

My System

Completely underpowered. Wattage means little, and it is the 12V rail amperage and quality that is what counts.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #10

I hate to be a spoiler here, but I do not suspect the PSU.

I have a brand new Dell
Intel Quad CPU Q8300 2.5GHZ
4GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 210
etc etc etc

I've configured it to dual boot in both 64bit and 32bit Windows 7 OS configurations.

The 64Bit version is for program development running SQL Server, Visual Studio and a host of other dev tools simultaneously.

The 32bit version I set up for gaming. I assumes the 32 bit would be a little more compatable.

Ive been running this setup about 1 month. The 64bit config HAS NEVER FAILED and I use it about 12 hours a day. The 32 bit version can relaibaly fail about every 20 minutes or so with just IE running. Boom reboot...

Exact same hardware, 64 bit very stable, 32 bit very unstable.

While I do not have an answer, I do not suspect the PSU.
BTW the 32 bit does not appear to be any more compatible either.
I'll probably switch it to a 64 bit install.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:01 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Did you consider that your friends might have quality psu's and not the heap you are running?

Whether the issue right now is the supply or not, you chance ruining other components with the fluctuations such as yours produces.

Quote:
it started about 4weeks ago when i bought a new graphics card
Did you use driver cleaner and uninstall your original card? Do you see any conflicts in your device manager?

Check the bios for better temp and voltage readings when a freezeup occurs. Reboot into your bios.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:12 AM   #12
Enthusiast

My System

you mentioned huntkey is your power supply. I used to test power supplies amd huntkeys are well known to explode when they are pushed to their limits. Even if it isn't your power supply I would suggest you replace it as soon as possible otherwise you may be replacing your pc very shortly. As said by Tyree and FreoHeaveo you are under powered by a great deal.

When considering a psu it is amps that is important specifically on the 12v rail you need one that has about 38A and I can tell you that your huntkey will not be producing anywhere near that. I produce more amps after I have had a hot spicy curry and need the toilet.

You need to replace with a good quality psu from corsair or seasonic like the one Tyree linked to in his post.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:23 AM   #13
Enthusiast

My System

To your question of how it can run for a whole day then crash the next. A power supply can start to fail in many different ways from the odd blue screen, to what will look like hardware failure error messages to complete shutdowns and not powering up properly.

A power supply converts the ac electricity from your wall socket to dc electricity that computers and their components need to run this conversion can go wrong especially in low quality power supplies like huntkey, winpower and rosewill.

This is normally down to the amperage in the 12v rail not being completly stable so for example you could be browsing the net looking at stuff and everything is ok then you launch an app or a game and because more power is requested the unstable 12v rail panics if you like and shuts down and this is where you get the blue scree or system shutdown.

You will see that some power supplies state 80% efficiency this means that 80% of the day the psu can deliver maximum output so in theory you could play and intensive game nearly all day long, good quality power supplies these days are 85 - 90% efficient and I can tell you for a fact that huntkey are about 40% efficient. So you might get crysis running for about an hour before it fails.

I have a gtx 260 and it recommends you need 525w to run the thing (thats with no other components) so I would suggest to you that your friends are either running very good power supplies or they too are pushing their systems to the limits and where it will fail.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #14

Ok i really dnt no anymore.from sunday to now ive had 2freezes straight after each other and i was watching series only.my friends dnt hav expensive power supplies that i no for sure.im not gonna argue with greenbruclee if you hav tested them then fair enough.Ive also found that alot people are having freezing probs and its cause they hav windows 7.im hoping that they will bring out a patch soon.its hard cause i speak to u guys and i have people here that help me.ai im so confused.im just waiting for suppliers to open again and ill get the power supply.

thanx again
Old 12-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #15
Enthusiast

My System

freezing and lock ups can be associated with ram problems too. Download memtest 86 burn it to disk and boot from yhat cd (you will need to change the boot order in the BIOS) memtest will check the ram for errors.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #16
Enthusiast

My System

I have had no issues with windows 7 at all.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:54 AM   #17

I've had a few issues with Win7. A few blue screens and general fuckups in the month or so that I've had it.

Still, it's basically a beta before the 1st service pack. And it's nothing like the bad old days of vanilla Vista *shudder*.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:14 AM   #18
Emeritus

@tk_icepick
Please choose your words more carefully. I'm far from a prude but there is no need for off color comments.

@ RCMerlin
Your PC doesn't really relate to the OP's situation. He is using a custom build with quality parts and a low quality under powered PSU. His problems are concurrent with the PSU.
Your are using an OEM PC that includes a sufficiently sized PSU, though most likely not high quality, for the included hardware configuration.
I have also used 7 (32 & 64 Bit) on several PC's since Beta stage and have yet to have any OS relate issues with either version.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:02 AM   #19

I'm sorry, did I offend someone?

I'm sure that if people care about what I say, they'll let me know.
Until then, it's not necessary to be a **** about what someone says on the internets.

Let's keep it tech-related, ok?

And for the record - "fuckup" is the technical term for what Win7 has done twice today.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:36 AM   #20
Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk_icepick View Post
I'm sorry, did I offend someone?

I'm sure that if people care about what I say, they'll let me know.
Until then, it's not necessary to be a **** about what someone says on the internets.

Let's keep it tech-related, ok?

And for the record - "fuckup" is the technical term for what Win7 has done twice today.
well actually its against forum rules to swear incase you do offend someone but in any case I have never had an issue with windows 7 so you must have an issue with your pc running it since I and at least 35 other people I know have never had an issue either.
Closed Thread