Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Windows 7 64 Bit Only Using 30% Of RAM

This is a discussion on Windows 7 64 Bit Only Using 30% Of RAM within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello! I am running Windows 7 64bit on a Dell XPS 15z, with 6GB RAM and a 2.70GHz i7 dual

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello! I am running Windows 7 64bit on a Dell XPS 15z, with 6GB RAM and a 2.70GHz i7 dual core processor.

My question is why is my laptop not using all of its free RAM? I understand some RAM, generally around 2GB I think, is used to run Windows and the graphics etc., but I should still have around 4GB to use. Yet, I have never used more than 2GB of RAM even with multiple tabs open in Chrome, and multiple large files open in Photoshop.

Here's a screenshot of the task manager:

As you can see, I have 6GB total with 2GB cached (assuming for Windows and graphics and whatnot) and 4GB available, yet I only use 2GB and have 2GB free that I seem to never use. What can I do to utilize the extra RAM that it seems to refuse to use, even when going long periods of time 90%-100% CPU usage?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Emeritus

Was the 6GB of RAM part of the original configuration or has some been added?

Old 09-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

OR it's not using all the ram because it's not needed.

Shows 6gig installed 2 gig in use 4 cached.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
Registered Member

The 6GB came with the laptop, it's only about a month old.

I feel like it's not that it doesn't need the RAM, but that it's just not using it for some reason. If I have a Photoshop file open and open a Word document, the performance slows. If I have multiple tabs open, it slows. Most times I cannot even scroll down in one tab while another tab is loading. I mean, if you are correct in saying that the laptop just doesn't think I need the extra memory, I don't know what I would need to open to get up to even 2.5GB.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyoesch View Post
The 6GB came with the laptop, it's only about a month old.

I feel like it's not that it doesn't need the RAM, but that it's just not using it for some reason. If I have a Photoshop file open and open a Word document, the performance slows. If I have multiple tabs open, it slows. Most times I cannot even scroll down in one tab while another tab is loading. I mean, if you are correct in saying that the laptop just doesn't think I need the extra memory, I don't know what I would need to open to get up to even 2.5GB.

EXACTLY why we preach more than 4 gigs in a dual channel motherboard is wasted; and more than 4 gigs is also a waste even on a tri channel board like the i7-950

you have just discovered the cpu and your tasks just cant make use of that much ram or cpu for that matter
Old 09-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

is this with the laptop running off wall power or battery power
Closed Thread