Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

WIN reports RAM unusable

This is a discussion on WIN reports RAM unusable within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am currently running Windows 8.1, on an MSI motherboard. I have installed 2 each 8 GB RAM modules, for

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am currently running Windows 8.1, on an MSI motherboard. I have installed 2 each 8 GB RAM modules, for a total of 16 GB. When I go yo yhe SYSTEM screen, windows shows the 16 GB of RAM, but states that only 3.4 GB is usable. What steps need to be taken in order for windows to use all 16 GB? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2016, 05:40 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

This will happen if you installed a 32bit version of Windows. Did you install a 32bit version?
Old 04-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #3
Registered Member

I did install 32 bit OS. I do have the 64 bit disk. Should I install the 64 bit version? Can I keep all my files and programs, or does the installation wipe everything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2016, 02:22 AM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

A 32 bit operating system has a total address space of about 4GB. After reserving space for other system devices, you are left with around 3 - 3.5 GB for system memory. You will have to install the 64bit version in order to use your entire 16GB.

No way around it but to do a full installation, which does mean any and all data on the partition on which the OS is installed will be lost.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RAM problems because of my CPU?
Greetings! TL;DR: My BIOS can't use all of my RAM, but can see them. It's surprisingly most likely because of my CPU. I have some mystical ram problems, and I'm out of ideas. First the story: I had a sweet little config, like: RAM: DDR3 Kingmax 4+2=6 giga 1333Mhz VGA: GIGABYTE Radeon R7...
Enomee RAM and Power Supply Support 6 06-04-2015 12:38 PM
Need advice for RAM upgrade
Hello, I currently have 8GB (2x4GB sticks) of GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 RAM. I plan to upgrade this to 16GB, and the easiest and cheapest way of doing this seems to be by installing 2 more 4GB sticks. So my first question: are there any drawbacks of having 4 sticks of RAM as opposed to 2? Does...
TheRandomGuy7 RAM and Power Supply Support 5 11-17-2014 10:20 AM
[SOLVED] RAM upgrade causes failure to boot with ANY RAM
RAM Failure, Lost Cause? Computer: Dell E521 AMD Athlon 64 Nvidia GeForce 6150LE with ATI Radeon 256MB Video card upgrade. Was running Vista with 1GB ram (2x512MB DDR2) and decided to upgrade to 2GB. Got Kingston 2x1GB DDR2-800 after consulting with Crucial. Tried to upgrade and would not...
aweather RAM and Power Supply Support 12 05-23-2011 12:05 AM
Win 7 - Ram problem
Hey guys, I am new here and I was hoping you guys can help me solve a problem with my ram on my newly build pc. First of all here is my configuration: Windows 7 64-bit CPU - AMD Phenom II 1090T MB - Asus M4A785TD-V EVO 7850G GPU - Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
thermobee BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 19 01-03-2011 05:52 PM
Selecting RAM for your Laptop
Introduction: The type of RAM a laptop takes can usually be determined by what processor it has. The processor is always easy to tell, to find out, download a free utility called PC Wizard. This utility will tell you your information about your computer, including your CPU and its model number....
TheMatt Laptop Support 1 11-26-2006 11:25 AM