Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Which RAM brand?

This is a discussion on Which RAM brand? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I will be running multiple gaming servers from my new computer. I will be needing 16GB of RAM right

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation

Hello,

I will be running multiple gaming servers from my new computer. I will be needing 16GB of RAM right now, but will be upgrading later.

I was wondering which brand is best for intensive use. The computer will be on 24/7, but I will be buying something to cool the RAM (suggestions?).

So, what is the best brand for intensive gaming servers? I've heard good things about both Corsair and Crucial, as well as some others...

Thanks!

P.S. If you happen to be well-informed on processors (3GHz+, Intel or AMD, intensive use) feel free to give me suggestions as well! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

crucial will tell you whats available for your system if you put in the motherboard into the search feature or you can visit your motherboard manufacturers website to see whats available.

generally speaking the best high performance ram is g skill ripjaws and corsair vengance and corsair xms

CPUs are also dependant on your boards CPU socket but I always choose intel CPUs and sandy brdiges and ivybridges are the best. If your running a proper server then consider xeons.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Even though the RAM mentioned above is designed for OCing, it will be ideal for you're setup as the heat spreaders will assist with the cooling considering it's on 24/7.

I also suggest going with Ivybridge too as the lower power consumption will be ideal for the long run.

Also, make sure you have a good quality PSU... you wouldn't want anything to happen to your expensive hardware in a "worst case scenario". Seasonic, Corsair and XFX are good quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helios19 View Post
Even though the RAM mentioned above is designed for OCing, it will be ideal for you're setup as the heat spreaders will assist with the cooling considering it's on 24/7.

I also suggest going with Ivybridge too as the lower power consumption will be ideal for the long run.

Also, make sure you have a good quality PSU... you wouldn't want anything to happen to your expensive hardware in a "worst case scenario". Seasonic, Corsair and XFX are good quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbrucelee View Post
crucial will tell you whats available for your system if you put in the motherboard into the search feature or you can visit your motherboard manufacturers website to see whats available.

generally speaking the best high performance ram is g skill ripjaws and corsair vengance and corsair xms

CPUs are also dependant on your boards CPU socket but I always choose intel CPUs and sandy brdiges and ivybridges are the best. If your running a proper server then consider xeons.
Thanks for both your help! I'm going with Corsair Vengeance, 2 x 8GB DDR3 :D Thanks!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Good choice! Also, make sure you buy it as a kit... as oppose to individual sticks to reduce the chance of issues arising.

Good luck! :)
Old 07-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helios19 View Post
Good choice! Also, make sure you buy it as a kit... as oppose to individual sticks to reduce the chance of issues arising.

Good luck! :)
Yeah, I'm buying 2 8GB sticks. You mean buy the sticks together, right?
Old 07-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Yep. Retailers normally sell them as "kits". That's what you should look out for.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9
Old 07-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #8
Emeritus

Let's backup to what Mobo will be used. A true Server Mobo will use ECC RAM.
Personally, I would prefer using Crucial for a dedicated Server.

Closed Thread