Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Which Brand of RAM Should I buy?

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Bill_Bright 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am very cautious when it comes to buying RAM for computers. I am wanting to upgrade RAM for my computer. Currently I have 6GB of RAM in my system and it can go up to 16GB of RAM. I know that I want to buy RAM for less then $300 and was thinking about buying G-skill or Kingston. I have had good luck with the Kingston brand, but I want to make sure I will be getting the most for my money.

Specifications for computer:

Motherboard Specifications, M2N78-LA (Violet) - HP Customer Care (China - English)

Which brand would be best for me? What would you suggest? I am trying to run as many virtual machines as I can while I study for my certification exams. Please let me know. Thanks. Yes, I am doing research by myself and will update you.

Why does it say this:

Four DDR2 SO-DIMM (240-pin) sockets

Supported DIMM types:
PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
PC2-5300 (667 MHz)

Upgraded Parts:
750watt power supply added
ATI Radeon 5850 graphics card

See less See more
#2 ·
Why would you possibly need/want 16GB of RAM?
What brand/specs/configuration is the 6GB you have?
There are no games and few apps that can utilize over 3GB of RAM.
I suggest Crucial RAM for any OEM Mobo. It is not unusual for them to have issues with performance RAM.

#4 ·
The Mobo is Dual Channel. Using 3 sticks puts you in Single Channel Mode and performance suffers considerably. I would try 2X4 and you can get another matched pair if that's not enough.
Your money-your decision.

#5 ·
Agreed. It is a dual channel motherboard with 4 slots. To take full advantage of dual-channel's performance, you should buy and use sticks in pairs. So my "guess" (hope) now is that you have 2 x 2Gb plus 2 x 1Gb for a total of 6Gb. At the least, I would toss the two 1Gb sticks and buy two more 2Gb.

If you really want 16Gb, then as noted, you need to go 4 x 4Gb.

Why does it say this:

Four DDR2 SO-DIMM (240-pin) sockets

Supported DIMM types:
PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
Why? Because it is telling you those are the type and speeds it supports.

The Newegg link does not work for me. I recommend you use the memory wizards at Crucial, Corsair, Mushkin, or just about any RAM maker to determine which RAM is compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.