Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

What The Heck?

This is a discussion on What The Heck? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just purchase a blu-ray burner. I powered down the FX computer listed in my specs, and removed my DVD

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

EEK!

I just purchase a blu-ray burner. I powered down the FX computer listed in my specs, and removed my DVD burner and replaced it with the blu ray. Went to boot up .... nothing ... no power. I figured it had to be something simple since it was working fine before I shut down. I checked all my connections, I disconnected the blu ray burner and try to boot up ... nothing. I checked the UPS it was working. I changed to a different outlet on the UPS ... still no power. So I pulled out the PS and put in a back up PS and I have power again ... I got that PS back in July and it's already gone bad. Dang I replaced my main computer power supply with that same model. I hope this was a fluke. Can't return it to newegg, but it is still under warranty. Just can't believe it went out without warning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2016, 06:03 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Did you check to be sure the on/of switch on the PS had not been inadvertently turned off? ( not all power supplies have a switch )

Old 11-20-2016, 06:18 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Had someone bring a system over with a similar issue, in that case they had pulled the power switch connection off the motherboard enough that it wasn't making connection, but still stayed in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2016, 06:55 AM   #4
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
in that case they had pulled the power switch connection off the motherboard enough that it wasn't making connection, but still stayed in place.
But that run to the case's front panel switch, not the PSU so simply swapping out PSUs would not affect that unless the wires were accidently pushed back in proper place when the 2nd supply went in. In that case, putting the original PSU back should result in a working computer.

Quote:
Can't return it to newegg, but it is still under warranty. Just can't believe it went out without warning.
Since you appear to be comfortable swapping in and out components, I recommend you "invest" in a good PSU Tester. The advantage of this model is that it has a LCD readout of the voltages instead of basic LED indicators. With an actual voltage readout, you have a better chance of detecting a "failing" PSU, or one barely within the required ±5% tolerances (see below) as specified in the ATX Form Factor PSU Design Guide (see “Table 2. DC Output Voltage Regulation” on Page 13). Note that none of these type testers test for excessive ripple and other anomalies that affect computer stability. And they only provide a small "dummy load", not a variety of "realistic" loads a computer places on a supply. So while better than nothing, using one of these testers is not a conclusive test. This is done by a qualified technician using an oscilloscope or power supply analyzer - sophisticated (and expensive) electronic test equipment requiring special training to operate, and a basic knowledge of electronics theory to understand the results. Therefore, conclusively testing a power supply is done in properly equipped electronics repair facilities. This is why swapping in a known good spare is typically the best way for "normal" users to verify a PSU is good or bad.

Note these testers are also great when using a spare PSU for testing fans and drive motors outside the case as they signal the PSU to turn on when plugged in to the main PSU connector.

ATX Form Factor Standard allowed voltage ranges:
12VDC ±5% = 11.4 to 12.6VDC
5VDC ±5% = 4.75 to 5.25VDC
3.3VDC ±5% = 3.14 to 3.47VDC

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 11-20-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
Did you check to be sure the on/of switch on the PS had not been inadvertently turned off? ( not all power supplies have a switch )
There was no switch on this unit. I checked everything before I pulled it. It apparently has died, and I can't believe it did that. Contacted Rosewill to find out the procedure to have it replaced under the warranty.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:09 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post
Had someone bring a system over with a similar issue, in that case they had pulled the power switch connection off the motherboard enough that it wasn't making connection, but still stayed in place.
I checked that too. Everything was connected and in place.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:17 PM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

If it had no on/off switch I would bet it was really cheap and that is the last place you want to save money on a component.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #8
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
If it had no on/off switch I would bet it was really cheap
And/or really old. But your point is the same; time to shop for a new PSU.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Not to beat the subject to death but maybe old and cheap?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:00 AM   #10
Visiting Tech

My System

Maybe. I don't buy old or cheap PSUs so I wouldn't know. Next time I am at Wal-mart, I'll try to remember to take a look at their budget PCs and see if any of those supplies have a master power switch on back. Personally, I think it should be an ATX Form Factor standard requirement, but it is not. And there are no revisions to the standards on the horizon either.

IMO, it should be a safety standard but it might add a whopping $.50 to the production cost of the supply! And I think their argument would be if you need to get your hands back there to flip the switch, it would be easier to find the detachable power cord and yank it out than it is to find, then flip the switch.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:59 AM   #11
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Bill if you look at branded desktops they almost never have on/off switches on them and remember all the junk makers making their psus are Delta, Best-ec and the other names escape me at the moment.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:40 AM   #12
Visiting Tech

My System

Yeah, I think cutting budget corners on power supplies is a sad but common practice among factory makers (and sadly, many self-builders too).

Old 11-22-2016, 10:47 AM   #13
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Quite true and it could well be the second most important in the unit if not the most important and that is a real shame. Sometimes I am amazed how long the junk in branded towers actually last.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #14
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
Sometimes I am amazed how long the junk in branded towers actually last.
That's actually part of the problem. There are 10-12 year old computers out there still chugging along with junk inside. To top it off, many of those have never ever been opened up for cleaning. If someone did open them up just to clean, they would need a putty knife, chisel and hammer, and a can of engine degreaser and a serious air compressor. Then the computer probably would go into shock at being so clean, have a heart attack and die on the spot! ;)

Old 11-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #15
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Don't laugh I have had nearly that happen Bill where cleaning the pc was such a shock I could not get it to boot again without replacing half the parts which is never worth it.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:51 PM   #16
Visiting Tech

My System

So have I. The worst are those where the owners smoke and have cats. Not only was I amazed the PSU was still going, but that the CPU had not overheated and died years back. The fans were so caked they could barely spin. And the heatsinks so clogged, they were like solid blocks of greasy fur balls.

Being allergic to cats, I used to lug those systems outside to blast with an air compressor and wore a surgical mask and gloves. Then took a shower after. No kidding.

Old 11-22-2016, 05:30 PM   #17
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Yeah reminds me of the desktop in a restaurant in the kitchen. I had to take the thing back to my shop and soak many of the parts in ammonia and scrub others I could not soak and I could not believe the thing would start and run like that though obviously not very well.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:30 AM   #18
Visiting Tech

My System

Yeah, kitchen environments are horrible - especially if they do a lot of frying.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #19
Moderator Hardware Team

OS: WinME, WinXP Pro SP3, Win7(x64), Linux distros incl. Ubuntu 9.10 & Netbook Remix & CD2USB, Slax6.1

My System

One thing that I hadn't seen mentioned above and have had the occasion to suffer both on my PC and on customers PC's at work .. is the mains cable at the back of the power supply requiring a nudge to make proper contact .. sometimes a replacement cable was in order .. On power supply that is used just to power extra Hard Disks that sit outside my rig doesn't always power on when I turn on the bench power. A gentle wiggle of the power cable going into it brings it back to life .. but then I have to restart my PC so that the drives are recognised ..

Liek I say .. I have seen this on many occasions over the years.

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

HDD DIAG UTILS

TSF's Photographer's Corner

How to Use Ubuntu to Recover Windows files
Closed Thread