Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

What are good PSU brands?

This is a discussion on What are good PSU brands? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. As I said in another thread my PC suddenly got a blank screen and solid on HD activity light, and

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SpywareDr
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 09:14 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

As I said in another thread my PC suddenly got a blank screen and solid on HD activity light, and didn't even make the post beep when unplugged and replugged. It came back to life an hour later after removing and re-installing most parts. I suspect the PSU or mobo and will change the PSU first as it's easier and cheaper.

I used to buy Antec PSUs, but they seem to have gotten hard to find or unavailable at least in my local stores (any idea why?) and with the fear that the issue could happen again, I can't risk waiting any shipping time as I need my PC for work and want to buy a PSU locally tomorrow.

This means it looks like I'll have to get one from a brand I never had a PSU from before like Corsair or Thermaltake, or even a brand I had never heard of whatsoever: EVGA.

I want a high end PSU ideally with a 10 year warranty, and absolutely no less than 7 year warranty and that would be an absolute last resort. My current PSU is 10 years old and I want my next one to last as long.

What brand and series of PSU would you recommend I get considering my favorite brand is no longer sold in local stores?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2018, 10:07 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Do any PSU manufacturers cover the cost to replace any damage they cause to other components?

I just saw countless reviews on NewEgg about EVGA PSUs frying people's motherboards, hard drives, cpus, gpus, etc. and the manufacturer refuses to pay for the damages.

I don't want to trust my PC to a company like that.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:12 PM   #3
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

If you have never heard of EVGA, you haven't been in this scene for a long time! EVGA is one of the best brands, and have 10-year warranties on their high-end platinum-rated (92% efficiency) PSUs such as this one. That cover should meet your expectations, but forget about any PSU manufacturer covering damage to other components. ALL electronics have a finite lifetime and will eventually die out, but users don't like being told that, probably because they already know so. There are other brands as well,such as these Corsair models. See here https://seasonic.com/support#period for Seasonic, another leading brand. Those are plenty of models to choose from. Using a high quality psu is by itself a way of protecting your valuable components against damage. Compromise on this and you have no one else to blame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2018, 12:45 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
If you have never heard of EVGA, you haven't been in this scene for a long time! EVGA is one of the best brands, and have 10-year warranties on their high-end platinum-rated (92% efficiency) PSUs such as this one. That cover should meet your expectations, but forget about any PSU manufacturer covering damage to other components. ALL electronics have a finite lifetime and will eventually die out, but users don't like being told that, probably because they already know so. There are other brands as well,such as these Corsair models. See here https://seasonic.com/support#period for Seasonic, another leading brand. Those are plenty of models to choose from. Using a high quality psu is by itself a way of protecting your valuable components against damage. Compromise on this and you have no one else to blame.
The reviews are atrocious on the one you linked to:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817438055

And there's a difference between a part failing, and a part destroying other components as it fails.

I do want to spend a lot on a high end psu by a reputable brand.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:05 AM   #5
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
The reviews are atrocious on the one you linked to:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817438055

And there's a difference between a part failing, and a part destroying other components as it fails.

I do want to spend a lot on a high end psu by a reputable brand.
Then stay away from EVGA and go for the other brands. Don't get burnt on my account.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1
Looks like EVGA is a major brand now even though I don't think I had ever heard of it, and many reviews of them say they blow up every component in their PC so they aren't too tempting. I used to buy only Antec PSUs which is what I have now but no local store still carry them, did they go out of business or what?

What are high end/reliable brands of PSUs I should look at? I want to pay more for a reliable one with a 10 year warranty.
See Power Supply - antec.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1
Thanks for the Antec link, any idea why local stores no longer seem to carry them or have very limited choices?
Note: I have moved your above-quoted replies from the other thread to this one, to keep the two threads/subjects separated and easy to follow and reply to. Further discussions about choice of PSU should be held on this thread henceforth. The outcome of replacing the PSU and further troubleshooting, if any, should be posted on that other thread respectively.

I'm afraid I'm unable to answer why your local stores do not stock Antec PSUs anymore. My guess would be they may no longer be what they used to. Things come and go. Since you wanna purchase locally, you may be restricted to what is in store, further limiting your choices.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:09 AM   #7
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Seasonic, Corsair have never let me down, but again, do your own due diligence...

I stand corrected, there are vendors offering high-end PSU's with 10 year warranties... But seems to come at a premium cost....

Old 10-29-2018, 04:10 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Then stay away from EVGA and go for the other brands. Don't get burnt on my account.
After probably hours of combing through countless PSU brands, models and reviews, I managed to find one with what I wanted:
-Available at a local store
-High percentage of good reviews dating back at least one year
-Fully modular
-10 year warranty
-Always on fan (I don't like the idea of the fan going off at low load, I'd rather have inaudible fan noise and have the PSU last a few extra years), the one I got has an Eco switch for whether or not you want the fan to run at low load

It is an EVGA, but a different series with very good reviews dating back almost 2 years. I am keeping the package sealed for now until I'm sure of my choice.

This is the one I got:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-092-_-Product

Do you think it was a good choice? It is overkill at 850 watts, 650 would have been enough, but the lower wattage ones had bad reviews, that's the only reason I went with the 850. Are there any downsides to having more watts than I need other than added cost?

I would have liked a Corsair but the reviews weren't very good and many seem to turn off the fan at low load with no option to have it stay on all the time like the one I got.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #9
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
After probably hours of combing through countless PSU brands, models and reviews, I managed to find one with what I wanted:
-Available at a local store
-High percentage of good reviews dating back at least one year
-Fully modular
-10 year warranty
-Always on fan (I don't like the idea of the fan going off at low load, I'd rather have inaudible fan noise and have the PSU last a few extra years), the one I got has an Eco switch for whether or not you want the fan to run at low load

It is an EVGA, but a different series with very good reviews dating back almost 2 years. I am keeping the package sealed for now until I'm sure of my choice.

This is the one I got:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-092-_-Product

Do you think it was a good choice? It is overkill at 850 watts, 650 would have been enough, but the lower wattage ones had bad reviews, that's the only reason I went with the 850. Are there any downsides to having more watts than I need other than added cost?

I would have liked a Corsair but the reviews weren't very good and many seem to turn off the fan at low load with no option to have it stay on all the time like the one I got.
I've heard good things about the supernova series, so yeah, it's a good pick and no downsides that I can think of.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:32 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
I've heard good things about the supernova series, so yeah, it's a good pick and no downsides that I can think of.
I've opened it (the box, not the psu lol) and tested it with the included tester and just an old hard drive I was willing to sacrifice in case the PSU is defective and blows it up. It worked fine so I'll try to install it in my PC tomorrow.

Last night I put my PC in hibernation instead of leave it on as usual so that nothing can go wrong overnight (it powered back up normally and came out of hibernation when I turned it on this morning) and will do the same tonight just in case.

Hopefully the new psu will prevent what happened from happening again, I had been wanting to upgrade to a modular one since a year or so because I knew mine was almost 10 years old but kind of forgot about it until yesterday's scary problem.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:16 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

I finally installed the new psu and everything is still working fine.

However I did notice that my old psu didn't have a long enough cable for the cpu, so I had a cpu extension power cable, and the connection between the psu and extension for the cpu was burnt black at one of the 8 pins, so it clearly heated at one point if not frequently.

Luckly the connection at the mobo/cpu plug was fine and the new psu has a long enough cpu cable, so all burnt cables and plugs have been removed.

Could the burnt cpu extension plug have been the cause of my computer dying? Maybe the burnt connection lost contact for the duration the PC wouldn't boot, but it may also be completely unrelated to the issue I had.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #12
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

It may have been when it overheated that your issue arose, but it was still a good idea to get a new psu unit to avoid the same thing possibly recurring.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:32 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

I forgot, there's another problem I had noticed years ago but didn't notice again until I pulled the pc back out to change the psu earlier today.

It's that when different parts of my hand or arm touch certain different wires behind my PC, I feel a weak AC electrical shock in my hand, it happened years ago at which point I put a gfci on the outlet, but had never occurred again until today. I think when I felt it today I had part of my arm touching the grounded computer case and my hand was touching the component video cables from my cable box (they connect to an HD capture card in my PC).

I figured it might be the psu, but I felt it again once the pc was re-assembled with the new psu. I changed the component cables from the cable box as I had been wanting to replace them with a longer one and I don't get shocks since.

This shock thing is/was a mystery and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the computer problem I had but I don't think so, as I had this shocking issue years ago but never any computer problems. Unless the short managed to reach a part of the PC that caused problems. I don't think it's related to the PC problem because all the moving of the case and unplugging all wires didn't solve the problem it was having at the time.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:09 AM   #14
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

From where we sit there is no way for us to tell what the cause of the weak AC current might have been, or if it was causing problems. There are too many variables at play. It may have only been happening when you were fiddling with the cables, or with the computer, or when something else was in a certain position. <shrug>

I do know that an AC current that shouldn't be there can be extremely dangerous. It really needs to be checked out and resolved before someone gets hurt or something catches fire.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:12 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

I was wondering, is it possible the burnt cpu extension cable would have been the cause the the mobo not posting? Would lack of power to the CPU cause such symptoms? What would happen if you tried to boot a PC with the CPU power unplugged?

I'm hoping the burnt CPU power plug was the cause of last week's problem but it could have been burnt like that for almost 10 years for all I know.

By the way when I said my old PSU was 10 years old I was wrong, now that it's out I can see it's 12 years old and had a 5 year warranty and was 550 watts.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:07 PM   #16
Registered Member

It's always a good idea to wear a grounding strap on your wrist when you get near solid state devices to avoid static discharge damage. But it also makes you more likely to get shocked. Fortunately most solid state circuits use only low voltages.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:41 AM   #17
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmm76 View Post

... wear a grounding strap ... But it also makes you more likely to get shocked.
Wikipedia.org - Antistatic device > Antistatic wrist strap
Quote:
An antistatic wrist strap ... is connected to ground through a coiled retractable cable and 1 megohm resistor, which allows high-voltage charges to leak through but prevents a shock hazard when working with low-voltage parts.

Where higher voltages are present, extra resistance (0.75 megohm per 250 V) is added in the path to ground to protect the wearer from excessive currents; this typically takes the form of a 4 megohm resistor in the coiled cable (or, more commonly, a 2 megohm resistor at each end).
Stancestans likes this.
Closed Thread