Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Weird... see if you can help me

This is a discussion on Weird... see if you can help me within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Sup yall, im new to this forum but not to repairing and upgrading computers. Well lets start. Ok so i

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #1

Confused

Sup yall, im new to this forum but not to repairing and upgrading computers. Well lets start.

Ok so i upgraded my girlfriends moms computer in ram, i put 2 512mb sticks in to upgrade the crappy 256 sticks, and when i look in properties its reading 502mb of ram, and she says it freezes up on her at really random times. This dosn't sound right to me at all, this is'nt my 1st time doing this to computers, so if anyone here that knows whats up lemme know, i could really appreciate the help.

peace.

oh ya forgot to mention there the same size ddr. everything fits right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Hi, welcome to TSF

Did you remove and replace the 256mb sticks (giving a total of 1gb), or add the 2 new 512mb sticks (giving a total of 1.5gb)?

What make/model is the motherboard? If it's a really old one, it might only allow 256mb per RAM slot.

What speeds are the old and new sticks? Are they listed correctly in BIOS?

Have you run memtest yet? 1 stick at a time for 10 passes each.

Is there a graphics card or are you using onboard?
Old 06-20-2008, 10:28 PM   #3

Well the original w/ 512mb all together 1 256 stick in each slot, so i removed them and slapped in a 512 in each slot,

its a sony viao, but its pretty damn old.. like 04? which didnt make me think twice, but you have a really good point on the slot only allowing so much, ill take a deeper look into that, later on ill take a look at the stick too see what speeds they are, i thought since there both ddr, and can mix and match sticks and still register, and as i said ill take a look at the computers bios, there is no graphics just onboard... umm i dont think i missed any thing, but later tommrow ill report back with my finds, thx koala

Getup kid
Closed Thread