Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Using two non-identical RAM Modules

This is a discussion on Using two non-identical RAM Modules within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Good day TSF! I need advice on purchasing Memory Modules to be paired with my existing setup. I have, 4GB

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 05:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to xtechnouser

Good day TSF!

I need advice on purchasing Memory Modules to be paired with my existing setup. I have, 4GB DDR4 2133 MHz G.Skill Aegis (Single Stick).

Should I buy slightly used 4GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury with Heat Spreader in lesser price, or a brand new 4GB DDR4 G.Skill Aegis?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Going by the title of this thread, you seem to already know that it's highly recommended to use identical ram modules (same make, model and if possible, product number). While you can mix memory modules of different brands and models, they may not work well together, hence that recommendation, so the real question is, do you wanna risk buying the cheaper option and hope that it will work with your current setup?
Old 05-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

As hardware becomes more and more complex through the years, I feel it is more and more important to match ram not mix it and given the choise you gave us I would always prefer GSkill ram to Hyer-X Kingston anyway as Kingston Hyper-X ram I have found is a very difficult ram to work with to begin with.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

"In theory" you can mix and match all you want assuming each RAM type is compatible with that specific motherboard (be sure to check your motherboard's QVL - qualified vendors list - on the board's website).

"In reality", the newer your hardware, more likely your mixed devices will work together. This is because manufacturing techniques have vastly improved over the years to where RAM coming off the production lines matches published specifications much more precisely than in past years - even if from different vendors.

But theory and reality don't always jive. And until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there will always be imperfections in manufacturing and in the raw materials too.

So as suggested above, it is always best to buy matched sets to ensure not only compatibility, but also optimal performance (working in dual-channel, for example).

In fact, I often recommend users toss the old RAM and buy all new in matched sets when upgrading just to ensure compatibility. Buying all new RAM at the same time means you are more likely to get RAM made in the same production run/lot for even greater chances of compatibility.

BTW, I note you did not specify the speed of the Kingston RAM. Is it 2133MHz too?

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread