Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Used Ram a Problem?

This is a discussion on Used Ram a Problem? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am getting used rams for a laptop. The owner says that the ram doesnt wear out. With such informative

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 12:58 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Threesom666

I am getting used rams for a laptop. The owner says that the ram doesnt wear out. With such informative responses Ive gotten here I'd figure I'd ask before trusting an untrusty person. If its uses has no importance and also is there a way to know if it will give me problems in the moment. Because Ive noticed with uses certain rams give issues and the blue screen of death.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

No, RAM doesn't wear out. I guess, like everything, it could go bad which we've seen before.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #3
Visiting Tech

My System

RAM is the one component in computers that typically comes with "Lifetime" warranties. While all electronics will wear out eventually (due to friction caused by the electrons banging around) typically the rest of the computer either breaks down or becomes obsolete and is retired before the RAM fails.

There are exceptions of course, but that's the general rule. And this assumes the RAM was not mishandled (dropped or zapped by ESD) or abused through overclocking, excessive heat, or incorrect voltages.

Just make sure the RAM is compatible with your system. If you run the Crucial Memory Advisor on your system, it will show you the specs of compatible RAM.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2017, 07:59 AM   #4
Game Team Tech

I use GEIL black dragon ram on my machine 4gb no bsod for 4 years no issues. running windows 10 pro 64bit, with power surge protector.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

As Bill said most major brand ram has lifetime warranty so again I have no fears about using used ram providing it is major brand.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Bright View Post
RAM is the one component in computers that typically comes with "Lifetime" warranties. While all electronics will wear out eventually (due to friction caused by the electrons banging around) typically the rest of the computer either breaks down or becomes obsolete and is retired before the RAM fails.

There are exceptions of course, but that's the general rule. And this assumes the RAM was not mishandled (dropped or zapped by ESD) or abused through overclocking, excessive heat, or incorrect voltages.

Just make sure the RAM is compatible with your system. If you run the Crucial Memory Advisor on your system, it will show you the specs of compatible RAM.
I love Darwing! lol.

Ive always thought about that about pc them being delicate to moving. Which is why I dont get why they make laptops since they are so delicate to movements. I will be a lot more cautious with the environmental temperature of my pc. What would be overclocking?

Thanks for your helpful advise.

Rich-M

Makes sense. Good advise. Im going to post its brands when I do get( I dont them or when will they eventually find the adequate one) them to see if its of any help. Thank you.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:01 AM   #7
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threesom666 View Post

What would be overclocking?
Google > define:overclocking
Old 09-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
Ive always thought about that about pc them being delicate to moving. Which is why I dont get why they make laptops since they are so delicate to movements.
They make laptops because many people need mobile computers. But also, the mounting slots for RAM in laptops are designed to lock the RAM into the slots more securely than PC RAM slots. The fact is, laptops are designed to be robust enough to take considerable physical abuse from knocks and bumps - though not drops.

Lastly, I was referring to dropping the RAM sticks, not the computer itself.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
That sent me to some strange pic not google or anything.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:53 PM   #10
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

To find out what "overclocking" means,
  1. Go to Google

2. Type in:
    define:overclocking
Old 09-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #11
Registered Member

Simply put, overclocking means setting your CPU and memory to run at speeds higher than their official speed grade. Almost all processors ship with a speed rating. For example, an Intel Core i7 860 runs at 2.80GHz out of the box. Overclocking a Core i7 860 means pushing it to a clock speed higher than 2.80GHz.

Well obviously I can look it up on google. I had asked because sometimes people give a different view, their view and since I really didnt know what it was I asked.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:14 AM   #12
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threesom666 View Post

Well obviously I can look it up on google.
Thanks. Keeps us from having to waste time reinventing the wheel.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:37 AM   #13
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Overclocking used to be a "dirty word" but today even Intel who scoffed at such thoughts in the past has accepted its utility somewhat as any "K" series Cpu is sold based on its ability to be overclocked. As a general rule oc utilizing bios utilities as long as reason is used and not extremes is relatively safe however software oc should be avoided as unsafe. Certainly any product whose warranty is voided by oc should be adhered to.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:05 AM   #14
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
Overclocking used to be a "dirty word"
Certainly any product whose warranty is voided by oc should be adhered to.
It still is not exactly a "clean" word. It should be noted that even the warranties for processors that are "marketed" for their overclocking abilities will be voided if the processor is damaged by overclocking. If you take your Porsche to the track and over-rev the engine blowing it up, guess what? You are paying for the repairs. Yet clearly the Porsche is marketed for its sports car attributes.

I note that many motherboards have built-in overclocking features in their boards but NO WAY will ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI or the others buy you a replacement processor if you fry it. Same with RAM and graphics cards too.

It should be noted that engineers don't design devises for overclocking. They design to specs or to the limits of the materials. It is then the "marketing" people who "dummy down" the published default specs then "hype up" the marketing.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #15
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Well Bill I said "reason is used" and of course Intel is not replacing anything caused by oc ing something but if you oc a CPU from 3.5 to 4.0, they figure that and likely you will have no issues on a "K" model CPU. But if you shoot 3.5 to 4.8, that is not reasonable at all and won't likely boot anyway and you will be better off if it doesn't.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #16
Game Team Tech

As mentioned above overclocking is making your cpu clock speed and memory and video card faster on your system, mostly used by gamers, by increasing the voltages of each and clock speeds, Good points run games at faster speeds, more responsive systems, bad points you can burn your cpu out quicker It may last a few years, depending on your cooling of the cpu and video card and memory and psu unit, If not done correct can damage your cpu and motherboard.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #17
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
Well Bill I said "reason is used"
I wasn't questioning or disagreeing with your comment. I was only adding to it. Continuing my Porsche analogy, if you take your Porsche to the race track and don't over-rev and blow up the engine, your warranty will still be good.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #18
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Ah ok no problem!

Old 10-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
As Bill said most major brand ram has lifetime warranty so again I have no fears about using used ram providing it is major brand.

It hasnt been easy installing that ram. The brand they are installing is kingston which is probably the best memory brand around here but I dont know about ram. Apparently the pc needs a high frequency ram. They have tried to stall two of 4gb ram. One he just told me has a 1200 frequency which it takes well the other 1000 which it creates conflict. They cant take two of them at the same time and say that they are fearful if they install the 2gb ram with the 4 gb of different frequency might create problems with the pc including damaging it. Apperantly theyve been using my pc to check it out its quality saying that ram affects the video display like smoothness, and glitches which is news to me which Im not so sure I believe.

I used to have another pc which I wanted to upgrade from a 512mb to 1gb or taking it over the limit of 2gb and nothing ever worked. It was always the size of the ram didnt fit in the slot even when it was the same size and ddr1. The teeth werent the same so it wouldnt slot in properly and the pc wouldnt read it. Never did I think such a trivial thing would be such a big problem. Its probably best to buy the ram preinstalled in my next purchase that way I wouldnt have do deal with all the hulas. In my old laptop I had thought about it but they were charging at the time about $60 more for 512mb of extra memory. I had reached my limits on upgrades on that pc and not knowing about pcs I didnt think it'll be that important. Though a rip off looking back at it I shouldve paid it. It wouldve saved me all the long term hassle headaches of upgrading it 10 years later.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #20
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

The proper type of ddrram has to be the same size, what you are saying makes no sense sorry to say. Now Ddr2 and 3 may appear to be the same size but they are not.
Sounds like you are talking about high density vs low density and unfortunately that is almost never marked on the ram in any place however the inexpensive ram is almost always high density which most systems cannot use at all. That is why your best bet is to buy ram using a configurator i.e. Crucial.com where they not only can provide you ram that will work for any model computer or motherboard, if you buy it from them they give a money back guaranty it will work.

Closed Thread