Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Updating ram questions - Lenovo Ideacentre 300

This is a discussion on Updating ram questions - Lenovo Ideacentre 300 within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have the Lenovo Ideacentre 300 Desktop Computer, Black (Intel Core i3, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB HDD, Windows 10) 90DA00LPUS

Old 03-19-2020, 06:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have the Lenovo Ideacentre 300 Desktop Computer, Black (Intel Core i3, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB HDD, Windows 10) 90DA00LPUS https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I want to update the ram, this computer is running to slow for my video editing software. What do I need to buy 1 8GB DDR4 RAM or two 8GB DDR4 RAM to reach 16GB RAM max?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Kimberly
Kimberh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2020, 12:19 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Go for Max supported capacity, is usually a safe bet.

However for Video editing, you should invest in a good video/graphics card with high RAM, that is where the actual Video processing occurs, with onboard GFX there is too much of load on the CPU/RAM which is not recommended in the long run.

tristar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:07 AM   #3
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

I don't see in the specs anything that suggests that computer supports more than 8GB. Where did you see 16GB? I note here, it clearly says "Up to 8GB".

I recommend you visit the Crucial Memory Advisor. They have a small (and safe) program you download and run that scans your computer's hardware to determine its RAM support capability. It then recommends "compatible" RAM.

You don't have to buy from Crucial but if you do, they guarantee the suggested RAM will work. And for sure, Crucial is a quality, reputable brand.

If you don't want Crucial, the main thing is that scanner will show you specs for compatible RAM.

That said, most RAM makers have similar scanners that use a similar little program you download, or you manually enter your computer specs. Sadly, it does not look like you can go more than 8GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristar
with onboard GFX there is too much of load on the CPU/RAM which is not recommended in the long run.
I don't know what "not recommended in the long run" means but there is nothing to suggest and no technical reason to believe running with integrated graphics will somehow hurt or shorten the lifespan of the CPU or RAM. In fact, because there are fewer components (compared to using an add-on graphics card), with all else being equal, there is no reason you cannot expect the computer to last just as long, if not longer than a computer with a graphic card.

Not sure what is meant by "too much load on the CPU and RAM" either but certainly video editing can be demanding tasks. Running at maximum load won't hurt anything (assuming proper cooling), but it sure will impact performance. So having said that, I do agree with tristar that you will likely get better performance with a graphics card. This is not just because the card will likely have a more powerful graphics processor than that integrated with the motherboard, but the card will come with its own graphics RAM. This will free up any system RAM the current integrated graphics solution stole from... err... is "sharing" with the CPU now.

HOWEVER - and this is important - graphics cards are often the most power hungry devices in our computers. And factory made computers often, sadly, come with power supplies barely adequate to support the hardware they come with. So it is common to need to upgrade the power supply when replacing integrated graphics with a card.

So, Kimberly, if you are already at 8GB and that is the maximum, you might want to look at installing a graphics card (and new PSU if needed). But first, make sure your system is free of malware. Run Windows Disk Cleanup or CCleaner to make sure the drive is free of clutter. Check your free disk space to make sure you are not running low. If less than 30GB free, you need to uninstall some programs and/or delete or move some of your data files to a different drive.

You might also consider migrating to a SSD from a hard drive.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Bill_Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2020, 09:26 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristar View Post
Go for Max supported capacity, is usually a safe bet.

However for Video editing, you should invest in a good video/graphics card with high RAM, that is where the actual Video processing occurs, with onboard GFX there is too much of load on the CPU/RAM which is not recommended in the long run.
Thank you
Kimberh is offline   Reply With Quote