Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Unexpected Shutdown

This is a discussion on Unexpected Shutdown within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. I know this seems like a PSU question, but I don't know what the problem is. My Athlon 2500+

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 02:42 PM   #1

Hi. I know this seems like a PSU question, but I don't know what the problem is.
My Athlon 2500+ mobile/Asus a7n8x-e deluxe system will sometimes shut-off unexpectedly, usually when starting up a program or putting a cd/dvd in the drive, but also when trying to access the HD's etc. The problem is, it doesn't do this consistently, so I don't know how to diagnose the issue. The only thing I can think of is that I recently swapped my PSU's from one system to the other. I put an FSP GROUP 400 W (from the amd system) in my P4 2.4/Asus p4p800 se system, and then put a Wintech Electronics 400 W PSU (from my P4 ) in my Athlon 2500+ mobile/a7n8x-e deluxe computer. The P4 2.4 machine never shut-down like that with the crappy PSU, so I don't know what it is, but I have noticed it since I put it in the AMD system. Note that I don't have any hardware that would use significant amounts of power in the AMD rig...I only have a 64 MB GPU etc. I don't like not understanding what is going on with my PC's. It is so annoying. And yes, I know what you're thinking..."check the connections". I did that, but I'll do it again if need be. Lol. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

The Athlon 2500+ mobile needs good clean power, I would put the fortron back in there as a test
Old 04-08-2007, 09:29 PM   #3

Really? I thought the mobile Athlons needed less power, being for laptobs and all. Is there any diagnostic program I can use to help diagnose the problem? I have never dealt with power issues before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2007, 01:57 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Did you put the 4 pin power molex plug back in that deluxe board?
Old 04-09-2007, 06:17 PM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Yes they do use less power but they need clean steady power on all the rails.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unexpected Shutdown
Hi I keep experiencing problems when i turn on my pc, sometimes it loads fine and then turns off automatically on its own. My system does not have any spyware viruses or other malicious form of infection. The PC no longer turns on as it says that a system file used to load the system is corrupt....
jamiehartle Windows XP Support 1 12-07-2006 01:01 PM
Unexpected Shutdown & Desktop Hijacked
Please Help! :4-dontkno First it was the 'Your computer is in danger' message in the system tray with the Blank Black Screen. Now The message was gone together with the Black screen but now I have the Blank Blue Screen. I couldn't change from the Desktop property tab - simply it was not...
fep364 Inactive Malware Help Topics 5 08-29-2006 11:06 PM
Unexpected Shutdown
My computer began to randomly just shutdown with no warning. I don't know what is causing this excpet that it might be either my processor or my psu. After playing a game for a while it just shutdown with no warning. Then when i went to turn it back on it got to the windows loading screen and...
cainmosozihcs Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 9 07-17-2006 08:32 AM
Losing internet connection on network
We our having problems with our internet connection quitting out on us every hour or so. It seems that the more computers and Xboxes we have on the more often we lose our connection. We only lose the connection for a second but thatís long enough so that we get kicked out of games and of MSN. ...
ChokingClown Networking Support 3 08-26-2005 05:48 PM
XP Slow Shutdown Process. Help! please
i recently installed XP-SP2 Slipstreamed and i opted for the fast shutdown sequence even before i installed the slipstream, back when i had XP Pro SP1a install then upgraded to SP2, this happened. the shut down and restart process takes between 3-5+ minutes. before it used to shutdown and reboot...
norin Windows XP Support 4 04-12-2005 07:48 PM