Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Two 8GB sticks, Two different speeds.

This is a discussion on Two 8GB sticks, Two different speeds. within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. After recently completing my first build, I'm a bit eager to get more out of it. I currently have a

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to AlienVibes

After recently completing my first build, I'm a bit eager to get more out of it. I currently have a Crucial 8GB DDR3 stick in, it has "8GB 1GX64 DDR3 1600 UDIMM 240" On the side, and I'm assuming that's the speed of the stick. I have another Samsung stick, still an 8GB DDR3 but, it says "8GB 2RX8 PC3 12800U" On the side. I'm assuming the 1600 and 12800 are the speeds. Is it possible to run two different speed ram sticks? or to get 16GB would I have to buy more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2017, 05:43 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

They are both 1600 Ddr3 however that does not mean they will work together as a lot more than speed determines compatibility. I would install both and then if the system boots successfully, the next step would be to run memtest86 to be certain they are compatible. Run a few full tests as each test has 8 passes.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:34 PM   #3
Registered Member

I'll give it a try, just figured I'd get some input before I try it. Can never be too safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2017, 10:27 PM   #4
Registered Member

I tried it, started right up, so far no issues. It over all seems more responsive. Looked at speccy, and for ram it has "16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (11-11-11-28)"
Old 03-11-2017, 03:24 AM   #5
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

FYI as to what the numbers mean:

DDR3-1600: Double Data Rate Type 3 memory. Base clock frequency of 800MHz, active on both the rising and falling clock pulse to give two transfers per clock (thus it's name) for total data rate of 1600 million transfers per second per I/O bit.

PC3-12800: Memory bus bandwidth. 12,800 MegaBytes per second per data channel.

x86 based computers use a 64 bit wide data channel.

So: 64 bits x 1600 MegaTransfers per bit = theoretical maximum bandwidth 102,400 Mbits per second.
Divide by 8bits/Byte = 12,800MB/s or 12.8GB/s

One step further. When you consider that most PCs today have dual memory channels, the total theoretical memory bandwidth is 25.6GB/s
Old 03-11-2017, 08:11 AM   #6
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
I tried it, started right up, so far no issues. It over all seems more responsive. Looked at speccy, and for ram it has "16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (11-11-11-28)"
It seems all is good then. :)

Please note for future reference that Memtest86+ has fallen by the wayside and is no longer under development or being updated. That last update was 3 1/2 years ago and the latest supported Windows version listed is Windows 7.

It may not matter with your older DDR3, but still, I recommend using MemTest86 instead. It's latest update was just 2 weeks ago. Allow the diagnostics to run for several passes or even overnight. You should have no reported errors not even one.

That said, the built in Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool is effective too.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 03-11-2017, 09:17 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Yes Bill is right and I keep forgetting to suggest the newer version!

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread