Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Transcend + Kingston (2400 MHz)

This is a discussion on Transcend + Kingston (2400 MHz) within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Good day! I just want to ask if it is okay to combine not identical memory sticks? Sent from my

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bill_Bright
Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to xtechnouser

Good day!

I just want to ask if it is okay to combine not identical memory sticks?

Sent from my INE-LX2r using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2019, 02:03 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi, it's never the best idea.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:43 AM   #3
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Is it okay? Sure. That is, assuming both are compatible with your motherboard and you don't force them in backwards, no harm will come to the motherboard or the RAM.

But will they play well together? That's another story. If the RAM has identical specs and the motherboard is pretty new, then your chances are good all will work fine.

But if the published specs are different, or if the actual specs of the sticks don't very closely match the published specs or each other, you may run into problems where some or all of the RAM is not recognized.

Are both sticks on your motherboard's Memory QVL? Almost all board makers maintain QVLs (qualified vendors lists) for each of their boards on the board's web page. These are lists of tested RAM they verify work with that specific board. There are just too many RAM makers and models to test them all so you don't have to buy listed RAM, but you should buy RAM with the same specs as listed RAM to ensure compatibility.

But to ensure all the installed RAM plays well together, it is typically recommended they are all the same brand and model and to get the best odds yet, buy them all at once. This is the best way all the sticks most closely match each other. This is why when building a new computer, I always try to buy more RAM than I think I will ever need right from the very beginning. No worries then about finding compatible RAM 3, 4, 5 years down the road.

Just check your motherboard user guide for instructions on which slots to put the pairs (assuming we are talking about the 4 slot MSI board listed in your specs). The worst that will happen is your system will not boot.

Lastly, it is essential you observe proper ESD control. Make sure you unplug the computer from the wall and touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static in your body BEFORE you reach into the computer or touch any RAM.
SpywareDr likes this.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 08:27 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Bright View Post
Is it okay? Sure. That is, assuming both are compatible with your motherboard and you don't force them in backwards, no harm will come to the motherboard or the RAM.

But will they play well together? That's another story. If the RAM has identical specs and the motherboard is pretty new, then your chances are good all will work fine.

But if the published specs are different, or if the actual specs of the sticks don't very closely match the published specs or each other, you may run into problems where some or all of the RAM is not recognized.

Are both sticks on your motherboard's Memory QVL? Almost all board makers maintain QVLs (qualified vendors lists) for each of their boards on the board's web page. These are lists of tested RAM they verify work with that specific board. There are just too many RAM makers and models to test them all so you don't have to buy listed RAM, but you should buy RAM with the same specs as listed RAM to ensure compatibility.

But to ensure all the installed RAM plays well together, it is typically recommended they are all the same brand and model and to get the best odds yet, buy them all at once. This is the best way all the sticks most closely match each other. This is why when building a new computer, I always try to buy more RAM than I think I will ever need right from the very beginning. No worries then about finding compatible RAM 3, 4, 5 years down the road.

Just check your motherboard user guide for instructions on which slots to put the pairs (assuming we are talking about the 4 slot MSI board listed in your specs). The worst that will happen is your system will not boot.

Lastly, it is essential you observe proper ESD control. Make sure you unplug the computer from the wall and touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static in your body BEFORE you reach into the computer or touch any RAM.
Thank you sir for that comprehensive reply!

I tried to combine the two memory sticks and it runs on Dual-Channel 16GB Total DDR4 2400 MHz.

As I look into the CPU-Z, on SPD, both memory sticks have the same values (timings, latency, etc.). The only difference is the part number and the serial.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
I tried to combine the two memory sticks and it runs on Dual-Channel 16GB Total DDR4 2400 MHz.
And is 16GB what's installed?

Old 05-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Bright View Post
And is 16GB what's installed?
Pardon me sir?

Old 05-13-2019, 10:46 AM   #7
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
Pardon me sir?
You never said in your opening post how much RAM you already have installed, or how much you were trying to add. So is your computer showing what it should?

Old 05-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Ah, I see sir. I installed the Kingston 8GB and Transcend 8GB, and it is working with a total of 16GB 2400 MHz Dual-Channel Mode.

I now have 16GB RAM in total sir.

Closed Thread