Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Toshiba Sattelite P755 power supply

This is a discussion on Toshiba Sattelite P755 power supply within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi folks, I have two identical Toshiba Satellite P755 laptops. Only have one power supply. Laptop #1 works fine with

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Hi folks,
I have two identical Toshiba Satellite P755 laptops. Only have one power supply. Laptop #1 works fine with or without battery while connected to PS, or on battery power alone and charges fine. Laptop #2 seems to have a bad battery and will do absolutely nothing when connected to the SAME power supply with or without battery installed. BUT, if I put the good battery from laptop #1 into laptop #2, it will run until the battery drains (about 2-3 hours).
What could be wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Probably a bad solder on the L2 of the power port..

What happens if you put battery from L2 into L1 and use the charger ? If this works, then you might want to have a tech take a look at the charging port on the L2...

Old 08-01-2018, 11:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

Question

Thanks, I may have to take L2 apart and check the connections. Forgot to mention that when I put the battery from L1 into L2 and fired it up, it will NOT charge up at all when I connect the PS.It would show "plugged in, charging", but never moved off of 0% for quite a while, so I disconnected the PS. I tried putting the bad battery in L1, but after awhile when it didn't charge at all, figured I'd better unplug it, so that I didn't mess up the PS or something.
These are not my primary computers. I volunteer full time at a non-profit that helps guys coming out of incarceration to get back to normal life and will probably donate these to someone in need.
Thanks,
Stumped1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Could be a broken connection/solder joint where the charger connects to L2. If so, this is a common repair job any good technician has probably done dozens of times. If a broken solder connection, no parts required. If the connector itself is broken, the repair is still easy, but you will have to buy the part.

Either way, if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself, find a good shop. Note a good shop will also thoroughly clean the insides out of all the heat-trapping dust that has been building up too.

That said, putting L2's battery into L1 and it not charging is not a good sign. It could just be coincidentally a bad battery. Or it could be a fault in L2's charging circuits that prevents charging and damaged the battery. :(

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 08-02-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Agree with Bill... My thoughts are the same, the second battery not working, is a little concerning.. If you know how to jump start a battery with a 12V adapter, that is a good shot, but if you don't want to get your hands dirty, take it to a tech..

Most likely a dry solder + possible battery replacement required.. Do the math on the cost..

Old 08-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #6
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
If you know how to jump start a battery with a 12V adapter, that is a good shot,
Ummm, no way would I recommend that!
Quote:
if you don't want to get your hands dirty
Or potentially have the battery blow up in your face, or the charger short out and catch fire!

You jump start engines, not batteries.

Most notebooks require batteries that run at significantly higher voltages. These Toshibas are no exception. They use 19 volt batteries and chargers that provide nearly 4A of current.
Quote:
take it to a tech..
Agreed.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:00 AM   #7
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Haha.. I have done a lot of them Bill, haven't had any blow up yet :P, but have to admit, I've done them with cellphone batteries (3.3/3.7V), charge them for like 2-5 minutes with a 12V adapter, helps add a little charge to allow the battery to charge with the regular charger and then starts working.

With 19V, probably a little longer with a 12V adapter, but I'll add a disclaimer, that this is not regular practice and can potentially cause bodily harm, so use caution or take it to a good tech.. :)

Old 08-02-2018, 09:42 AM   #8
Visiting Tech

My System

Again, that is NOT a practice I would EVER recommend. Blowing up or a fire is not likely but not out of the realm of possibilities either.

For sure, putting a 12V charger on a 3.3/3.7V battery, even for a few seconds is a BAD IDEA. 5V would be the max I would ever try, and only for a minute or two.

And a 12V charger will never ever charge a 19V battery over ~12V so that's just silly to try.

Source: Me! See the link in my signature.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #9
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

I'll take your word for it... :)

Old 08-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #10
Registered Member

Thanks so much for all your help guys.
I appreciate your time.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #11
Registered Member

I tore apart L2, took to a local tech, he soldered the bad connection at the plug in where the charger connects, brought it home and checked it out. Works like a charm. Ordered a new battery and charger.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #12
Visiting Tech

My System

Great! Glad it ended up a simple fix. Thanks for posting your followup.

Closed Thread